What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia

got a D. regia a year ago, and I cannot for the life of me get her to sprout and KEEP more than two leaves. it is relatively unchanged size wise, gets 14 hours sun stik and soft white light, constantly moist to wet, and about 3" from the lights. someone help me out here. this is one of the few plants I cannot get to take up growing well. thanks

What growing medium do you use? Have you given it a dormancy?

I'm encountering the same problem growing my D. regia. I even transplanted it in equal parts silica sand and peat moss. Won't grow more than 3" high. On the other hand, my D. regia 'Big Easy' just keeps growing and growing... hence its name I guess LOL.

But really, mcrwt644 has a very good question I would like to know the answer myself. Any ideas from successful D. regia - non 'Big Easy' growers out there?

Homer

Back at the Frederik Meijer Gardens, MI, they were kept cool, in 2 parts chilean LFS and one part sponge rock (aka big pieces of fluffier perlite), and never sitting in water. They were watered daily from overhead (not on the plants though) with RO water. It seemed to work for us!
Good luck!

I've always killed my non 'Big Easy' Regia plants... This winter I kept them both ('Big Easy' and non ) out in the green house... which had an average low of 43 and high of 68... Both are growing great... Both are in equal parts washed silical sand/ washed peat... keept moist.
Andrew

Edit: If you have good eyes, you can see the two plants in my dormant green house picture located on this topic at the bottom. The 'Big Easy' is on the right in the tall white tube pot thingie (don't ask.
smile_n_32.gif
) The non 'Big Easy' is morso on the left in a normal pot...

I have tried several other clones of Drosera regia without any long term success. Drosera 'Big Easy' just does better for me (hence my motivation for registering it as a cultivar). The other Drosera regia clones I've tried have all expired, not just gone dormant. I've used the same pots, media, etc. They've even been kept in the same trays as the Drosera 'Big Easy' side-by-side, but it didn't help. I'm still interested in trying other clones of Drosera regia and will trade to do so.

I've had trouble with regia as seedlings, but once they reach the 2in diameter, they appear much less susceptible to fungus and will grow very fast. These plants do not grow well in aquariums for me, but they thrive in a small semishaded greenhouse outdoors with D.binata plants.

Hi Joseph,

If you are looking for another clone, email me. Might have some extra medium sized seed clones.

the plant came from peter at cc. I am considering putting it in a cooler place with light just for it. it has NOT received a dormant period as I didn't (until just NOW remember reading the piece in the savage garden) know they needed one. I think that I will get on that right away. soo, the question is...how long and cool of a dormant period? thanks for the help.

My "normal" (if you can call it that) was traded to me but was said to be from CC... It sat in the g/h all winter and grew the whole time. I know joseph (pingman) has never given any of his regia plants any dormancy... So, I don't know what to tell you on that. I wish you luck though! And i would say to take root cuttings before doing anything drastic.
Andrew

Actually I have three that I have left outside this fall and winter. The second and third frosts killed all above-ground growth. The roots and rhizome still feel firm. I'm hoping that this "dormancy" will inspire flowering and renewed vigor.

D. regia does not require a dormancy, but does go dormant in cold climes. Joe Mazrimas thought his was a goner when it got down to 26 degreesF around here. But, it came back in spring, in his greenhouse. He grows his in pure LFS and they do well even in a very hot greenhouse. His regia is partially shaded too.

I did take root cuttings, and we will see how they go. I have the plant on a cooler, yet pm sunny windowsill. I am going to try a few different places for this plant. thanks again

I have mine in my greenhouse, it seems to get enough sunlight, it's looking a bit sluggish right now, due to lower sunlight hours, ect. It seems to be happy though, i'm 99% sure it is not big easy.

I think the size of pot might be an important consideration. I have been growing D. regia in 10-inch and 12-inch pots where the large and extensive root system has room to expand. I think that a 4-inch pot is perhaps too small for developing a large and robust D. regia.

BobZ,
I hope you are correct concerning this size issue. Of course, it is completely logical, and easy to observe similar behaviour in nearly all container grown plants, CP included. I recently potted up some 4" pot grown Drosera 'Big Easy' into a 5 gallon bucket of LFS and am keeping it outside where they have gone dormant, hopefully. Perhaps when they resume growth they may flower.
smile.gif

reading up on what I can of the plant in the savage garden, it states that the crowns may die back in cooler or winter times but does come back in the summer. I think that this is the case, and I will update with another post in the spring. hopefully a happy post. thanks for all the advice. I will take the repotting issue under consideration soon.

Back