Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. regia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a D. regia a year ago, and I cannot for the life of me get her to sprout and KEEP more than two leaves. it is relatively unchanged size wise, gets 14 hours sun stik and soft white light, constantly moist to wet, and about 3" from the lights. someone help me out here. this is one of the few plants I cannot get to take up growing well. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What growing medium do you use? Have you given it a dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I'm encountering the same problem growing my D. regia. I even transplanted it in equal parts silica sand and peat moss. Won't grow more than 3" high. On the other hand, my D. regia 'Big Easy' just keeps growing and growing... hence its name I guess LOL.

But really, mcrwt644 has a very good question I would like to know the answer myself. Any ideas from successful D. regia - non 'Big Easy' growers out there?

Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back at the Frederik Meijer Gardens, MI, they were kept cool, in 2 parts chilean LFS and one part sponge rock (aka big pieces of fluffier perlite), and never sitting in water. They were watered daily from overhead (not on the plants though) with RO water. It seemed to work for us!
    Good luck!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always killed my non 'Big Easy' Regia plants... This winter I kept them both ('Big Easy' and non ) out in the green house... which had an average low of 43 and high of 68... Both are growing great... Both are in equal parts washed silical sand/ washed peat... keept moist.
    Andrew

Edit: If you have good eyes, you can see the two plants in my dormant green house picture located on this topic at the bottom. The 'Big Easy' is on the right in the tall white tube pot thingie (don't ask. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ) The non 'Big Easy' is morso on the left in a normal pot...

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried several other clones of Drosera regia without any long term success. Drosera 'Big Easy' just does better for me (hence my motivation for registering it as a cultivar). The other Drosera regia clones I've tried have all expired, not just gone dormant. I've used the same pots, media, etc. They've even been kept in the same trays as the Drosera 'Big Easy' side-by-side, but it didn't help. I'm still interested in trying other clones of Drosera regia and will trade to do so.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had trouble with regia as seedlings, but once they reach the 2in diameter, they appear much less susceptible to fungus and will grow very fast. These plants do not grow well in aquariums for me, but they thrive in a small semishaded greenhouse outdoors with D.binata plants.

Hi Joseph,

If you are looking for another clone, email me. Might have some extra medium sized seed clones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the plant came from peter at cc. I am considering putting it in a cooler place with light just for it. it has NOT received a dormant period as I didn't (until just NOW remember reading the piece in the savage garden) know they needed one. I think that I will get on that right away. soo, the question is...how long and cool of a dormant period? thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast