What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made a mistake - bought a sarracenia

I bought one of those little "domed" 3" pots of Sarracenia purpurea at Lowe's the other day. I had watched these little plants get drier and deader for WEEKS, and finally broke down and "saved" one. One of the better looking purpureas<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Sarracenia purpurea, the spelling of species names does not change]</span>. Well, after researching online, I see that they are happier growing outdoors. Darn! I wanted an indoor carnivorous plant! Anyway, I have it on the windowsill and am making a go of it, but can now see a Drosera capensis in my future! Do any of you grow them indoors? I read they are pretty tough little customers, and good for a beginner.

Randi

I bought a half-alive one from Lowes about 4 months ago because they gave me 50% off. I slowly removed the lid over the period of a week then repotted it. It now has about 20 pitchers and fills the 8" pot all the way out to the egde. I have been growing it in my apartment and skipped dormancy this year so it could have a chance to grow some leaves. You might want to put a few drops of milk in a pitcher. I did that after it got adjusted and in a week 3 new pitchers began to form. Hope this helps.
-Nick

Ah yes, the milk... I forgot to mention that in my reply to seaecho's post in the Sarr forum. Give it a drop of milk in 20% of it's pitchers once a month (except during dormancy). Dairy products are the #1 CP growth stimulant! I give my dew-producing plants cheese at the same rate.

Yeah, they do tend to grow better outdoors, but with the right conditions, it can be done indoors.

Were you referring to capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis]</span> as being grown indoors? If so, they do very well inside. If you click on my profile, you will see a pic of my D. capensis, that had been grown exclusively on a windowsill for six months, until I moved it outside. It did much better for me on a window sill than it did outside.

ROFLMAO
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 05 2005,6:05)]....If you click on my profile, you will see a pic of my camale reproductive organ, that had been grown exclusively on a windowsill for six months, until I moved it outside. It did much better for me on a window sill than it did outside.

I love the obscenity filters. ROFL
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do any of you grow them indoors? I read they are pretty tough little customers, and good for a beginner.

Oh yeah, most my capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis]</span> grow indoors, some outside year around. Very tough like you said. Come back from their roots even after cold snaps down to 18F.

Homer

Kirk, he accidently misspelled "capensis by leaving out an essential letter "s" . The filters caught it and in an attempt to clean up Jim's language made it worse
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif
. I still get this image of that in Jim's window and all the neighbor's pointing and whispering as they walk past
smile_m_32.gif
ROFL Sorry Jim. *grins ear to ear* I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while. I am easily entertained.

D. Adelae<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera adelae]</span> also does very well inside, although you'll need to either place it under a light or at least in a bright spot, as direct sunlight will fry it.

And I'm convinced that Capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis]</span> are unkillable. You could place one in a bucket of fertilizer in the darkest corner of your garage and STILL it would grow. And flower. Even if the plant dies it will sprout again from the roots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 05 2005,5:05)]If you click on my profile, you will see a pic of my camale reproductive organ, that had been grown exclusively on a windowsill for six months, until I moved it outside.
That was awesome.
It took me a few seconds to figure out that wasn't what he'd meant to type...
Since when is the anatomical term obscene? Somebody ought to tell the urologists.
~Joe

That is the funniest thing I've seen on this site so far, jimscott what else do you have in yer profile??? I ain't clicking it, just in case

Okay.. okay... I fixed it. I really do need someone to type for me. That was weird.... funny.... but weird. What in the world was the filter thinking? Just glad that the Randi gal hasn't checked in yet - or maybe she has and decided to refrain from commenting.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Feb. 06 2005,2:03)]Kirk, he accidently misspelled "capensis by leaving out an essential letter "s" .  The filters caught it and in an attempt to clean up Jim's language made it worse
smile_n_32.gif

laugh.gif
.  I still get this image of that in Jim's window and all the neighbor's pointing and whispering as they walk past
smile_m_32.gif
ROFL  Sorry Jim.  *grins ear to ear* I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while.  I am easily entertained.
ROFLMAO

Dont you just love those filters Jim you'd better watch your mouth
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, now this girl / woman is going to think that I am weird. Let me re-phrase that. I mean "creepy" weird. I'd like to know how missing a critical 's' the filter took it upon itself to make it become creepy sounding.
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

She probably hasn't replied because she's laughing so hard she can't type ROFL.

Probably! *quietly slinks away from the topic*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 07 2005,3:08)]Probably! *quietly slinks away from the topic*
No reason to be embarressed Jim. You're not the first person this has happened to, just the most recent. I would think that someone would know how to change the filter to just correct the spelling instead of substituting words.

Yep, I'm LMFAO! That was a good one - absolutely priceless!

Randi

That is not the first time that typo has shown up around here. One little slip of an "S" and you are in trouble! Its my all-time favorite CP typo.
biggrin.gif
Cracks me up. Of course now you don't see it that much since the filter mangles it.

Back