Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Made a mistake - bought a sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of those little "domed" 3" pots of Sarracenia purpurea at Lowe's the other day. I had watched these little plants get drier and deader for WEEKS, and finally broke down and "saved" one. One of the better looking purpureas[Edit: corrected spelling, Sarracenia purpurea, the spelling of species names does not change]. Well, after researching online, I see that they are happier growing outdoors. Darn! I wanted an indoor carnivorous plant! Anyway, I have it on the windowsill and am making a go of it, but can now see a Drosera capensis in my future! Do any of you grow them indoors? I read they are pretty tough little customers, and good for a beginner.

Randi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a half-alive one from Lowes about 4 months ago because they gave me 50% off. I slowly removed the lid over the period of a week then repotted it. It now has about 20 pitchers and fills the 8" pot all the way out to the egde. I have been growing it in my apartment and skipped dormancy this year so it could have a chance to grow some leaves. You might want to put a few drops of milk in a pitcher. I did that after it got adjusted and in a week 3 new pitchers began to form. Hope this helps.
    -Nick
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the milk... I forgot to mention that in my reply to seaecho's post in the Sarr forum. Give it a drop of milk in 20% of it's pitchers once a month (except during dormancy). Dairy products are the #1 CP growth stimulant! I give my dew-producing plants cheese at the same rate.

Yeah, they do tend to grow better outdoors, but with the right conditions, it can be done indoors.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you referring to capensis[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis] as being grown indoors? If so, they do very well inside. If you click on my profile, you will see a pic of my D. capensis, that had been grown exclusively on a windowsill for six months, until I moved it outside. It did much better for me on a window sill than it did outside.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROFLMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 05 2005,6:05)]....If you click on my profile, you will see a pic of my camale reproductive organ, that had been grown exclusively on a windowsill for six months, until I moved it outside. It did much better for me on a window sill than it did outside.
    I love the obscenity filters. ROFL [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant find out what he really said
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Do any of you grow them indoors? I read they are pretty tough little customers, and good for a beginner.
    Oh yeah, most my capensis[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis] grow indoors, some outside year around. Very tough like you said. Come back from their roots even after cold snaps down to 18F.

Homer

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk, he accidently misspelled "capensis by leaving out an essential letter "s" . The filters caught it and in an attempt to clean up Jim's language made it worse [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] . I still get this image of that in Jim's window and all the neighbor's pointing and whispering as they walk past [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] ROFL Sorry Jim. *grins ear to ear* I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while. I am easily entertained.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast