What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glue droplets on D. spatulata scape

I just noticed a large number of tiny insects on one of the flower scapes of my D. spatulata (is D. spatulata normally such a prolific flower producer?). When I examined these bugs under a 7x hand lens, I noticed they all appeared to be dead, held to the scape by little droplets of mucilage.

I've not noticed any other Drosera in my collection to do this so far... Does the D. spatulata actually digest insects thus captured on its scapes?

(For that matter, does P. primuliflora digest insects captured on its scapes?)

About Drosera spatulata being a prolific flower producer. Yes, especially if you mean seed producer. Many early collections seem to be overrun with this species to the detriment of other less vigorous or prolific species.

D. brevifolia has the same thing. These mucilage covered scapes are for the flowers protection against insect infestation. I am not sure if the protein package is actually absorbed into the plant.

Back