User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. pulchella gemmae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently came accross a large batch of D. pulchella gemmae (thanks to a tip from Tony, it was in the sphagnum they were shipped in), and i put them on the top of some wet peat, what more do i need to do to get them to sprout?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep them moist and give them lotsa light. They're easy, as are all pigmy dew gemmae - especially scorpiodes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah thanks! That's what i'm doing, as they are in full sunlight. Also, they are in pure peat. I will transplant them as i get older, as there are maybe 15 of them in a 4" pot.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be patiant. From my experience, pullchella take the longest to sprout of all of the gemmae I have grown. As long as they stay green, don't turn brown or dry-up you should get plants in time.

Glenn

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how different pulchella or nitidula or... are from scorpiodes, but scorpiodes does well in a highly sandy mixture. I also has long roots and is sensitive to having its roots disturbed. So if you have gemmae, as opposed to established seedlings, you might do well to mix in sand as well as make a permanent home for them, now.