Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. scorpioides and aphids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tryed using a flea/tick bomb in a room/garage with you infected plants....

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying pyrethrum - an extract of chysanthemum - with no real results (except it kills the tentacles on Drosera real fast.) I kill the aphids I see, but they show up on some other plant later. They've already taken my Ping/Utric/Drosera tray and a flat of squash seedlings... I'm seriously thinking about moving my grow rack into the storage room outside and giving all my plants a blast of insecticide. Where have you put your plants to be treated with Orthene, Steve?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where they live. In my back yard. Pour the orthene in, and the aphids move out.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spray Othene 75sp (mixed with water) on the plants where they sit in the g/h. ...make sure they all have enough water first though. Cause you ain't going back in there for a while. LOL I dunno about other forms of orthene... but this kind smells pretty darn bad. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] But yes. Is perfecty effective. And I've had it harm none of my plants. (This is the same stuff Tamlin mentioned using... I sent him some to try...)
    Andrew
    edit:
    I used it on my plants for scale....

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob: I hope you are right.. its sure easier to spray Orthene than to submerse plants.

Nevermore: No I havent.

Joe: I haven't done anything special with the plants I have treated with the Orthene. In fact the ones I did treat are sitting side by side with other plants I did not treat.

Andrew:.. yes.. Orthene has the most foul smell.. lmao

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nevermore @ Mar. 11 2005,9:11)]Has anyone tryed using a flea/tick bomb in a room/garage with you infected plants....
    Dude, calm down! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Pyrethum extract is the same as rape seed oil. Does anyone know another name for orthene (sp?), I can't seem to find any where I live. Malthion, pyrethum, and a dozen of other insecticides, but no orthene.

Also doew anyone know of an insecticide made exclusively for mites (ie. miticide), or one that is particularly effective against mites?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I ask about the flea/tick bomb.. is that I have 2 decent sized ficus trees and a umbrella plant in the house that had a bad case of scale. So much where the carpet starts to get sticky from all the dew that they drop.

So i put them in my garage.. set off 2 bug bombs, that you get at any big box store, and after the set amount of time, airing out... all of the scale just dried up and I hosed them off. It worked perfectly... haven't had any come back since I did this.. and to no harm of the plants.

Not to say that CPs aren't going to have any side effects.... but I thought it would be worth a shot since the gas obviously gets in all the cracks and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a cat flea collar to great effect, as suggested in The Savage Garden. Suspend it so it doesn't touch the plant or soil, and keep it in an enclosed space.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast