Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D. scorpioides and aphids

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to my dismay I have noticed that my D. scorpioides plants all have aphids. I was wondering if anyone has had success with submerging the plants like with other species like D. capensis or D. adelae?

Thanks
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I have been successful with the capensis, adelae, and spatulata - but those are the only ones that were attacked.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submerged some D. scorpiodes gemmae for a few hours to get rid of (but not necessarily kill) some aphids and skim off algae without any ill effects. Just be careful not to wash too much media on to it as your flooding, as I knocked a few over and had a real hard time teasing sand and peat out of all the little hairs and tentacles. I'm going to get some Orthene just to be sure (and because submerging my D. dichotoma isn't much of an option.) Best luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 06 2005,12:49)]Well to my dismay I have noticed that my D. scorpioides plants all have aphids. I was wondering if anyone has had success with submerging the plants like with other species like D. capensis or D. adelae?

Thanks
    Steve
    Trying that while you speak. Make sure you do the full 2 weeks though, I tried taking it out after a few days and it didn't even slow the buggers down.

Look here for more reference info. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with your D.scorpiodes tread water session... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if scorpioides will like being submerged for any length of time. My choice would be to use the orthene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene is the way to go. I used it last year and even my most sensitive fragile plants were totally unaffected. One application rid me of the aphid infestation. Prior to its use I tried submersion, manual removal, organic sprays, alcohol swasbs...wasting endless hours only to have the outbreak reappear weeks later. Submersion will work, but expect some plant losses. I generally kept all my affected droserae submerged for 2 weeks with positive effect on the survivors, but the time and effort really are a waste when there is a good and ready tool to do the work effectively.
    "Grow More, Share More"

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all... Well to update this topic, I have my mature D. scorpioides plants in submersion therepy now. I started them off on 3-8-05 and will go ahead and leave them in for a while longer. The rest of my plants that are infected will get the chemical warfare treatment (I picked up some orthene today) I will update again in a few days and let you all know which worked better.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 10 2005,6:40)]I will update again in a few days and let you all know which worked better.
    I am betting on the Orthene.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast