What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossbreeding

I was searching around PFT and I saw this thread called Drosera X dionaea http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....dionaea (the thread is about 2 years old, so don't bump it :p)and it interested me. According to Tamlin, it said that a crossbred of D.Regia and Dionaea has been done successfully, the only thing was that the seedlings quickly died after germination. Also that dionaea has been crossbred with bladderworts .. Has anyone recently tried any crossbreeds. Be cool vft with bladderw rots, normal vft but the roots have sacs,Above and underground carnivous traits :p take that gnat larvae or vft with drosera, and the petioles will have tentacles or something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Has anyone recently tried any crossbreeds.

That's basically asking whether anyone has a gene splicing laboratory.

It would be cool though to have a VFT which had roots to rid the soil of the very fungus gnat larvae that threatens them...

Dionaea and Aldrovanda would appear to have a better chance of success of crossing. Rivadavia et al (2003) and others studied phylogenic relationships using DNA sequences and suggested that Dionaea and Aldrovanda were homologous despite their morphological differences, although the chromosome numbers differ: Dionaea (2n=30 or 32) and Aldrovanda (2n=38). Among the Drosera, D. regia (2n=34) appeared to be phylogenically closest on the rbcL tree to Dionaea and Aldrovanda.

To expect that Dionaea (Family Droseraceae; Order Nepenthales) could be successfully bred with Utricularia (Family Lentibulariaceae; Order Scrophulariales) would as likely as the success of breeding a horse with a chicken.

Boy, KFC would be interested in that creature, lol!
"I would like a drumstick, and SUPERSIZE it!!"

smile_n_32.gif

lol that would be a huge supersize. i think crossing the plants might be possible

thanks

Brad

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 09 2005,8:29)]Boy, KFC would be interested in that creature, lol!
 "I would like a drumstick, and  SUPERSIZE it!!"

smile_n_32.gif
LOL!

Maybe the plants would be just as unlikely to be able to as chicken X horse, but usually people find fantasies (ie. gloat) over crossbreeding plants, and regard the animal thing as impossible. Perhaps Bob who's studied phylogenic relationships would know gloating over plants is just as fantastical as gloating over a chicken X horse.

It stil amazes me that cps can be that far apart that is comparable to chicken and horse. So, if we could do the latter......
smile_l_32.gif

Perhaps chicken x horse would produce a Pegasus, despite the mythological explanation that it was created from the blood of Medusa. A more likely approach to the Dionaea-D. regia combination is a little lab manipulation to produce a Chimera.

I, for one, would like to see genetic engineering produce the fabled man-eating tree of Madagascar.

Or eat stray animals that venture to close to pots looking for food or toys (racoons, sc, sq, etc)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 14 2005,8:44)]Or eat stray animals that venture to close to pots looking for food or toys (racoons, sc, sq, etc)
Or animals which venture close to pots to satisfy their interest in seeing a funny plant snap shut when it is poked (ie. children...) J/K
smile_n_32.gif

yes hence the SC = small children

Back