Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. binata questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had bee admiring pics of a growers D. multifida "Extreama" thinking how it micht be a nice addition to sit beside my D. binatas "boring" T shaped leaves. well i was clipping dead pitchers off of my Sarrs and happened to glance down at the D. binata that grows next to them and it has some traps that have divided a second time forming two Y's instead of a T. is this normal? most are the T shape but about 5-10% of them are now the "double Y's".

also is this species self fertile? its producing a flower stalk and if its not self fertile im just going to cut it off. or do yah think i can cross it with D. capensis? i have one sending up a stalk right now also. they are two completely different groups of Drosera so i dont think they will cross but yah never know.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its probibly not self fertile. I doubt you will be able to cross it with anything (mine never have). You may have the dictoma small type or large type. I am not sure though. My 'extrema' is fincky, It will produce 2-4 (mostly 3) points per leaf until it gets going in the same area and tehy will produce lots of leaves with 18 points or so on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most clones of Drosera binata currently in cultivation are self-incompatible. They will form viable seed when cross-pollinated with other distinct clones only. There are, however, self-fertile Drosera binata. They are wonderful and just as much a weed as Drosera capensis. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone tell me what the HECK is going on with all that d. binata[Edit: should read - Drosera binata] complex thing? different species? subspecies? varieties? that is all so confusing!

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one knows [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! well that helps! :-/
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats why it is a complex. No one understands it at all. I still have the D. binata dichotoma "small form" that has been out of cultivation for a long time. Slack made mention of this form with a whole 2 or 3 sentences in his 1980 edition of "Carnivorous Plants".
    The clone was given to me by Judith Finn at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden in 1984. Splits to as many as 27 to 31 points, and has more substance to the leaf than extrema. Not as colorful a leaf, but a beauty just the same. I gave some to Wesley and to Pyro. Nice plant, and not found in many collections at all. Leaf cuts and root cuts will produce high yield in plants!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. binata, D. binata multifida, D. binata multifida extrema, D. binata dichotoma, D. binata dragon something, oy!
    so if D. binata dichotoma "small form" leaf cuts and root cuts produce a high yield in plants then why aren't they still in cultivation? is it called small form because it's shorter?
    I have a D. binata "extrema" (although I haven't seen the extra branches yet) and its leaves always fall to the side. I just tried some leaf cuttings and it has 2 plantlets on the stem of the leaf (or whatever you call it) and one on the trap itself.
    for some reason I'm obssesed with the binata complex :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast