Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. adelae leaf cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently taken a couple of leaf cuttings from my D. adelae just to see what would happen. Problem is, they had no dew due to new environment shock (I just got it bare root last week) and every source I have consulted on the subject of Drosera leaf cuttings states that the leaves must be dewy.

What do you all think? Do these leaves have a chance of surviving and producing plantlets? They were layed out on moistened New Zealand LFS, by the way.

Thanks,
    Corey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they will probably work. Unless they've dried out, they're probably still viable. Especially D. adelae.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. adelae in good conditions will automaticaly produce more plantlets for you than you will know what to do with.. D. adelae. Its extremely prolific at reproducing from its own roots.

As a general rule, its usually best to use fresher leaves when trying to do leaf cuttings but not impossible for an older one to still do the trick.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your input! I will keep you posted if these cuttings actually produce plantlets. They still look good and show no signs of drying up or rotting (knock on wood...they will probably rot within the next ten minutes).

Wow, Steve, I only hope my Drosera adelae can one day look as lush and happy as yours!

Thanks again,
    Corey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 17 2005,8:20)]D. adelae in good conditions will automaticaly produce more plantlets for you than you will know what to do with.. D. adelae. Its extremely prolific at reproducing from its own roots.

As a general rule, its usually best to use fresher leaves when trying to do leaf cuttings but not impossible for an older one to still do the trick.

Good luck
    Steve
    Wow, those look like nice plants. What are your conditions? I have had trouble with my Adelae. I made the mistake of putting them into the direct sunlight. Since then, two of them have turned brown. The other one is flowering now though, but the new leaves are much smaller. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel,
    I dont do anything special with my D. adelae. It grows in the corner of my small light tank. Fluroscent lights, no cover, about 5 inches below the tubes. It seems happy there so I dont mess with it much.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed today that one of the leaves I put down was forming a few dew drops! Hopefully this is a good sign and it will soon send up a plantlet or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! Keep us posted.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast