User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which species should i try next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, my tiny little collection is establishing nicely on my sunny southern windowsills (except for Drosera adelae, which is in somewhat more subdued light) and all species are starting to form copious amounts of mucilage on the new growth (and sometimes on the old growth).
    So far, I have the following types:

D. adelae
    D. capensis
    D. aliciae
    D. binata (T Form)
    D. dichotoma (T Form)
    D. spatulata 'Fraser Island'[Edit: D. spatulata (Fraser Island) -- if this is a registered cultivar that I am unfamiliar with, please let me know.]
    D. nitidula x pulchella
    D. nitidula x occidentalis

I think I have room for one more species. I am looking for easy culture, high amounts of dew (I like to see it sparkle in the sunlight), easy or no dormancy, nothing too tall, and effectiveness at catching those pesky fungus gnats which are infesting my pots of permanently wet tropical Hymenocallis.

My windowsills are very, very sunny and I plan on leaving the windows wide open during the summer since I do not like air conditioning. I maintain the humidity at a fairly steady 50-60% during the winter with the help of two large warm-mist humidifiers. Air circulation is good at all times.

What do you all recommend? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Corey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, i suggest some D. Scorpiodes[Edit: correct spelling is D. scorpioides, the second part of species names are always lower case.], an ez 2 grow pygmy, and produces lots o gemmae ^^
    Hellz

Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. tokansis[Edit: correct spelling is D. tokaiensis. D. capillaris or D. brevifolia

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. intermedia, rotundifolia, filiformis...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. madigascarensis[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera madagascariensis, D. venusta or D. filliformis would be a nice contrast to the species you already have. the first two may take a lil bit of work to find but are well worth it in my opinion. filliformis shouldnt be to hard. they should be coming out of dormancy for most. you dont need to throw filliformis in the fridge for dormancy, mine goes into dormancy while growing along side my D. capensis, no special effort on my part. it goes into and comes out of dormancy while sitting under my growlights with no change in temperature or light cycle.

cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes to either Drosera falconeri, Drosera slackii, or Drosera paradoxa.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. paradoxa is cool. dont know how i forgot it, i just got one. Jim has said he has problems shipping them to ppl though. they either die or go into dormancy after arrival. mine was sent to me in its pot which seems to have prevented it from going into shock and it is doing fine. very cool Drosera
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. regia has has proven itself on a windowsill for me. I moved it off a month or two ago in to my greenhouse.

D. rotundifolia is also a good choice.

D. scorpiodes[Edit: correct spelling is D. scorpioides]

D. pulchella

These are all okay for windowsills.

Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast