What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, my tiny little collection is establishing nicely on my sunny southern windowsills (except for Drosera adelae, which is in somewhat more subdued light) and all species are starting to form copious amounts of mucilage on the new growth (and sometimes on the old growth).
So far, I have the following types:

D. adelae
D. capensis
D. aliciae
D. binata (T Form)
D. dichotoma (T Form)
D. spatulata 'Fraser Island'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. spatulata (Fraser Island) -- if this is a registered cultivar that I am unfamiliar with, please let me know.]</span>
D. nitidula x pulchella
D. nitidula x occidentalis

I think I have room for one more species. I am looking for easy culture, high amounts of dew (I like to see it sparkle in the sunlight), easy or no dormancy, nothing too tall, and effectiveness at catching those pesky fungus gnats which are infesting my pots of permanently wet tropical Hymenocallis.

My windowsills are very, very sunny and I plan on leaving the windows wide open during the summer since I do not like air conditioning. I maintain the humidity at a fairly steady 50-60% during the winter with the help of two large warm-mist humidifiers. Air circulation is good at all times.

What do you all recommend?
smile.gif

Thanks,
Corey

Hmmm, i suggest some D. Scorpiodes<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct spelling is D. scorpioides, the second part of species names are always lower case.]</span>, an ez 2 grow pygmy, and produces lots o gemmae ^^
Hellz

D. tokansis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct spelling is D. tokaiensis</span>. D. capillaris or D. brevifolia

D. intermedia, rotundifolia, filiformis...

D. madigascarensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera madagascariensis</span>, D. venusta or D. filliformis would be a nice contrast to the species you already have. the first two may take a lil bit of work to find but are well worth it in my opinion. filliformis shouldnt be to hard. they should be coming out of dormancy for most. you dont need to throw filliformis in the fridge for dormancy, mine goes into dormancy while growing along side my D. capensis, no special effort on my part. it goes into and comes out of dormancy while sitting under my growlights with no change in temperature or light cycle.

My vote goes to either Drosera falconeri, Drosera slackii, or Drosera paradoxa.

D. paradoxa is cool. dont know how i forgot it, i just got one. Jim has said he has problems shipping them to ppl though. they either die or go into dormancy after arrival. mine was sent to me in its pot which seems to have prevented it from going into shock and it is doing fine. very cool Drosera

D. regia has has proven itself on a windowsill for me. I moved it off a month or two ago in to my greenhouse.

D. rotundifolia is also a good choice.

D. scorpiodes<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct spelling is D. scorpioides]</span>

D. pulchella

These are all okay for windowsills.

D. regia 'Big Easy' would be a nice addition to your collection.

-Homer

Wow! I love the looks of Drosera regia 'Big Easy', D. paradoxa and D. venusta, but how in the world do I find them?  California Carnivores sells the D. venusta, but can any of you point me in the right direction for the other two?

The D. filiformis is also intriguing--and widely available--but I had never considered it before since it is always described as "temperate," same as D. rotundifolia.  

Thanks again,
Corey

I think D. filiformis has an easy dormancy, or that's what I hear. I'm not sure if that means they form a resting bud or what, but I think they'll do OK with less water and shorter days in the winter. I understand they get pretty tall, over a foot, but if you've got a D. dichotoma then you probably have enough vertical clearance. I understand that Sarracenia NW will have them in stock shortly - I bought a bunch of D. filiformis seed from them this winter.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 25 2005,11:21)]D. paradoxa is cool. dont know how i forgot it, i just got one. Jim has said he has problems shipping them to ppl though. they either die or go into dormancy after arrival. mine was sent to me in its pot which seems to have prevented it from going into shock and it is doing fine. very cool Drosera
I just sent one from PA to California, two weeks ago. This time I sent more of the media with it, in addition to being wrapped in a moist paper towel - AND some styrofoam peanuts for padding. This time it fared well, on it's faive day (including the weekend) journey.

Back