What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides pic

1scorpiodes.jpg

Hellz here,
OOO nice ^^
i wish myn were doing as well... i think i am over watering them,
also, what size pot are yours in? mine are in a small 3.5 inch pot, is that big enough? i heard they like tall pots, and as for the substrate, what do you grow em in? mine are in a 25-75 sand to peat mix.
Hellz

3.5 inch pot, not sure on the medium but if i had to guess its pure peat or peat and perlite. i doubt to wet is your problem as mine is sitting i a tray that never has less than 1/3 inch of water and i try to keep it at 1 inch deep. they do like lots of light.

Hellz here,
your growing conditoins are like mine, and light is not a prblem... i grow mine under Ta 5's, so i think its good
biggrin.gif

the humidity is realatively high tho, is this a problem?
Hellz

D. scorpioides like tall pots. They grow best in a very sandy mix. Mine grow in 70%sand 30% peat mix in tall 4 inch diameter pots. Water level in tray should reach about 1/3 of the way up the side of the pot. For lighting they like full sun.

Steve

<span style='color:red'>[Edited topic: correct spelling is Drosera scorpioides not "scorpiodes"]</span>

Nice photo of a very attractive small species.

They look like they have clenched fists, ready for a fight.

what would we do without you Ping Man? i need to just copy and paste off my growlist but that takes to much time when its getting close to quitting time
smile_n_32.gif

mine died after growing for a month or two i dont know why.

crnivorkid, try them again. this pic is of the plants on my second try at the species. i killed off the first ones. about the only group of plants that i have not lost a single one is the terrestrial and lithophytic Utrics. ive killed several Drosera and Pings and Neps and such. its normal to kill some plants, more experiance just means you know why they died
smile_m_32.gif

How do you guys kill D. scorpioides ?? The gemmae are tuff as nails and will sprout from half squashed/dead gemmae! OK, I'm feeling very forgiving so I'll let you try some more if your game. **Translation: Bloody plants are still producing gemmae!! Please take some.**

Your D. scorpiodes are large enough to digest food with blood?

Great pic rattler! Ha ha little audry 2's RUN ;)
Steve I'll take some Gammae if you really want to get rid of them ;) I have some that are doing great, wouldent mind some more to try outside in full sun here in sunny Florida see if they color up, the ones I have now have no red indoors under flouros heh.

-Jc

oh wow, this is a very beautiful drosera. I would definatly like to grow this. Where did you buy this? I think I really want to try this....

You won't believe the difference growing these beauties outdoors will have! All the pygmies really color up outside, like little gems. Wow, this is late in the season to be getting D. scorpioides gemmae! The only species I have that makes gemmae outside of winter is D. plaeacea ssp. trichocaulis which usually has gemmae on the summer solistice. They do fine in anything above 50% humidity, provided there isn't a blast furnace of dry air hitting them. My plants are definitely outdoor plants. I've also found that the plants themselves when brought inside can etiolate significntly over the winter months (Oct-Apr here)and when put outside in the spring will return to their typical form within the season. My plants were so stretched out I never expected them to survive, but these are probably the toughest CP on the planet despite their size.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 06 2005,1:06)]Wow, this is late in the season to be getting D. scorpioides gemmae!
Your telling me!! Last year they at least let up for the summer. This year I have had several plants at any one time producing gemmae since back in November. I suspect it is stress induced by the aphids I have been battling on all my sundews this past winter. I have some Orthenex now and if the nice weather holds through the weekend, my entire collection is going outside for a nice misting. That aught to show them plant hopping, leaf sucking buggers what for!

how did i kill one of these? i think not enough light. the last pot got shoved in a corner of a tray.

Flip, didnt buy it, got it in trade or got it for postage or something. i have recieved so many plants in the last year that unless it was something i actually bought like a Nep or was specifiaclly traded for like my Ceph or a real oddball like the U. petertaylorii seeds i have a hard time remembering what came from who unless i remembered to mark it on the tag.

i'll take some gemmae steve if u want to give away, it kinda sounded like u wanted to

nice plants

thanks

Brad

Back