Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watering sundews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I know this is a stupid question but, I understand Sundews produce DEW.. My question is, when im watering my plants do I just water the soil around the plant? or is it ok if i spray the plant itself? If I spray the plant would it affect the dew?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have been able to gather by reading previous threads, spraying a fully bedewed Drosera with water will lead to the mucilage temporarily lessening and/or disappearing. However, a happy, healthy plant should have no problem recuperating its lost dew. Plants in the wild have to produce new mucilage all the time considering they are exposed to rainstorms, floods, etc.

To my mind, Drosera need to transpire just like any other plant and will have trouble doing so if all the pores are clogged up with dust. Therefore, for those of us who grow on windowsills, wouldn't a good monthly rinsing down with purified water be good to clean the housedust dust off of the laminas underneath the tentacles? And wouldn't that ultimately mean a healthier and more vigorous plant?

I think I need to experiment more! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a spray bottle to "mist" all my plants about once a week. The dew will come back quickly on a healthy plant. I still use the water tray method on all my plants though. I've heard some Drosera species do not like overhead watering, but I've never noticed any ill effect.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had the debate before about watering from above or below. Some plants do not fare well with overhead watering - like Cephalotus. The argument for overhead wstering is that it helpd to leach out impuritied. The con is that it compacts the soil. A lot of dews will glisten with dew if under water. Sunlight is your biggest factor in dew production. I think some people mistakenly view the dew as being a function of or made up of water. Misting is normally asssociated with Nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im planning on moving my plants from a 2 1/2 gal tank to a 20 gal long tank... I guess when I do make the transfer, I'll set up small rocks on the bottom of the tank to create a drainage and I guess this could be a way I can water them from the bottom?...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be fine. just make sure the rocks you use are washed well. You can even use a little vinegar as a quick test as to their pH. I took a peak at your grow list. Except for brevifolia, I grow all of them. Those which you have do wonderfully well in an "open tray" set up, with as much light coming through the windows as possible and air circulation. From what I have observed, a terrarium set up to create a humid environment can be counter-productive. many peoply have discovered that covering them cuts the light down and can lead to mold. Just food for thought.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have D.tokaiensis growing in a fairly small brandy snifter (no option of bottom watering,so it's a pretty good example)
    I just pour water in there every few days, sometimes I accidentally submerge them a bit, even, and they show no ill effects- from my experience the "dew" doesn't really dissolve in water, as long as you apply it gently

And what Jimscott said is true- with Drosera, super-high humidity seems to cause more problems than it solves, open tray is quite good enough for everything I have so far, can't stress enough that light is the key to dewey dews
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that in nature, these plants get rained on. So they do get a washing every now and then. As long as you aren't misting the heck out of them every day, they should be fine. I overhead water most things with no ill effects (being more careful with plants that tend to crown rot). I think a good rinse is good...sort of like mimicing rain in its native environment. I'm sure it helps them to get the bug husks washed off some.

I grow my cephs in raised mounds, so they can drain better. This also seems to encourage runners.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast