What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery drosera

Can any one help me identify this plant.  The label from Lowes stated it was a Drosera. It didn't state what kind so I don't know how to care for it. Lighting requirement suggestions would be a great help. Thanks much, Laura

7e7f2d0e.jpg

It is sending out new growth and looks pretty healthy.  I'll repot it later on this evening.

That is a sickly, light-starved D. adelae. Put it in good light, in a pot sitting in a water tray and it should be fine. This is actually an easy plant to take care of, although they mysteriously die from time to time.

Capslock

Thank you very much Capslock! That bad, huh? Shows ya what I know... it was green and I liked the shape of the leaves but the upward growth was throwing me off. I have it in a spot of sun right now and my husband is going to HD to buy a pot for me. April did say it had nice dew on it when she first bought it. Should I pot it up right now or can it wait until later on this evening so I can go back outside for the rest of the day?

It will wait. Note bright light but not direct sun for this one(well, in my experience, at least).

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you Joe, I going back outside now.

I wonder how long ago their shipment came in. Last summer I found a Darlingtonia whose cube was bone dry. The media was like sawdust. A VFT & D. adelae were both buried and white, underneath. Oy!

I have never seen a D.adelae growing like that b4...it almost looks like a normal plant!
smile_n_32.gif

Laura,

Looks like it came from Lowes, am I right? They don't take care of thier plants. The Lowes by me has Nepenthes, Drosera, Dionea, Pinguicula, Sarracenia and Darlingtonia right now. I am always tempted to buy one but I already have more than enough of thier plants except for Darlingtonia which I kill every time.

My D. adelae grows like a weed. I split the long roots apart when I replanted it and have several pots full now.

I think you will enjoy this plant.

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ April 04 2005,12:33)]I think you will enjoy this plant.
...until it does its infamous "playing 'possum" act.
smile_l_32.gif

Which mine is only just stopping doing after almost a year...

I have been haviing good success growing the plant wet in the summer and with the moss dry at the tips in the winter. Not sure if it is significant yet, but it is promising. I have speculated often that the plant probably grows during the wet season, putting down roots, expanding its leaves and flowering. Then, when the dry season comes, root growth stops, and the plant shuts down active growth. I speculate that during this time, the roots are more sensitive to moisture and may be lost in too wet conditions. Pfffft goes the lush plant. I always got good growth in nearly aquatic conditions, but then came the inevitable decline after flowering. With the new protocol all is going much better. It's all just speculation: I don't really know the growth pattern or seasonal conditions in habitat in Queensland but the plant seem to appreciate a dry spell once you notice a decrease in the growth (i.e. leaves stop unfurling). If you have a lot of plants, you might want to experiment along these lines.

Every time my Drosera adelae exhibit any distress, such as described above -- examination has revealed "mites"
mad.gif

Mine have never played possum. They dry a liitle and look a little worn but then bounce right back. I have not had any significant die back. They are kind of the energizer drosera for me, they just keep right on growing.

Glenn

Whenever I visit the local Lowe's store, I pay tribute to the soon-to-be dead CP's and wonder how it all came to this
smile_t_32.gif

I'm not sure how other stores care for their CPs, but the soil medium is dry enough to make a cactus thirsty whenever I visit.

Oh well, at least Laura saved one from certain doom
smile.gif
My friend and I were thinking about setting up a rescue fund a few years back, but it never got off the ground.

My adelae experience growth as Glenn puts it. U. sandersonii are planted in the same pot. Two peas in a pod I figure
smilie4.gif

-Homer

For me personally, my D. adelae does best grown in pure LFS and kept very wet. It also does better in a tank than in the open. D. adelae like high humidity. BUT...others grow it differently. They "pup" nicely.

For me personally, my D. adelae does best grown in pure LFS and kept very wet.  It also does better in a tank than in the open.  D. adelae like high humidity.  BUT...others grow it differently.  They "pup" nicely.

dadelaeA10-03RS.jpg

I'll have to see if I can fix that pic.

Back