What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmmanni & D. capensis seeds

I have both types in separte containers (chinese food, soup containers, small size) I filled the containers up with peat moss. Currently they do not have tops to them, I have them under a compact fluorescent light. about 4 inches away. Do I need to put the top on? or maybe half way? ANything else?

You do not need to put lights on seeds.  Seeds can germinate in the dark.  However depending on what light source you're using, it may produce some heat which could help germination.  I always cover my seed containers as it helps keep the humidity in and prevents the substrate from drying out too fast.  I open them periodically to get some air in and watch for any mold or problems.  Bottom heat can often speed up germination.  You do not need light until the seeds sprout and they can start photosynthesizing.

My 2-cents.  
smile.gif

Thanks... Ill keep an eye out on the seeds so I can stick them under some nice bright lights.

Alright.. so its been almost 2 weeks since I've sowed these seeds.. and I still don't see anything.. Maybe I did something wrong?

not nessisarily, they could just be slow. generally my D. capensis show signs of growth in a week but im still finding seedlings in a large Utric pot thats been nowhere near my capensis for over a month so some can evidently take longer if they want to.

ok just to clarify and to make sure i did it correct..

I put some moist peat moss into a container.. then i sprinkled the seeds(there really small, like less than a cm small) on the top and I just let is sit and wait? Recently the soil dries out a little fast than normal b/c the temps are rising so I just pour some rain water into the container from the top (would this have an affect on it?)

i just set the pot of seeds in a tray that constantly has water in it. i dont like dumping water on the seeds. D. capensis does fine in extreamly wet soil. i have some algae growing on the sides of some pots and have had D. capensis germinate and grow on areas of thick growth, one seedling is almost 1/2 inch tall at the moment. just be patient and you should see some growth before long.

Thanks a lot.. ill just keep waiting..

I've found unwashed [bad quality] peat moss to be deadly to seedlings and even mature plants of certain species.

true but 2 weeks hasnt been enough time to think that its not just the seeds being slow yet

I've found that D. burmanii likes to start waking up after 2 weeks. In fact I've found that quite a few species like to wake up just at around 2 weeks. No need to despair yet jlui83.

Alright for the D. Capensis pot im starting to actually see a little bit of green stuff coming out.. I guess what I do now is get it under some BRIGHT light and just wait right?... Right I have this container under a compact fluorescent light by itself so The light is directly above the container and getting MAX light.

Back