Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think you all lie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone says that D. capensis is a weed. I have never been able to get a single seed to germinate (aliciae either). I don't know if I just keep getting old seed or it gets crushed in the mail - but I don't have problems with other types of seed. That's not my question though, if capensis is such a weed is there an environmental factor that limits its spreading or is the area where it grows basically a carpet of plants all crowding each other? Thanks for any information anyone can offer. Stan

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it has something to do with Florida? I don't mean that to be sarcastic? Let me explain: People in Singapore have expressed their difficulty in cultivating D. capensis. Singapore is hot and humid. So is Florida. Is correlation causality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may be a problem. Oh great, my greenhouse is always hot and humid. I hope that isn't the problem with my D. capensis seeds. I have seen them popping up everywhere recently though, so that may not be the trouble.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could very well be the humidity but hopefully some other Florida growers will chime in. if yah need fresh seed i have a couple flower stalks that are in the process of ripening now
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in florida and currently I have one D.capensis "albino[Edit: D. capensis 'Albino'] and two very very small D. spatulata or D. spatulata "kansai", still too young to tell, but I think it's the latter. The seeds took almost a month to sprout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (buster1 @ April 09 2005,5:24)]That's not my question though, if capensis is such a weed is there an environmental factor that limits its spreading or is the area where it grows basically a carpet of plants all crowding each other?
    I find that many sundews can easily become weeds. I've let Drosera filiformis filiformis[Edit: Drosera filiformis ] go to seed in my bog and had to pull many of the plants because they were choking out other plants. I've had similar experiences with D. rotundifolia, D. sessifolia[Edit: Drosera sessilifolia] & D. natalensis. I suspect that competition from grasses and other plants keeps them in check in their native environment.

The last 2 years, I've given massive amounts of Drosera filiformis filiformis seed to the ICPS seedbank (& this yr D. sessifolia[Edit: Drosera sessilifolia]).
    All the best,
    Ron

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay, Hellz here,
    lol i have some of that D. Filiformis[Edit: Drosera filiformis, the second part of species names (specific epithet) is never capitalized. Seed stratifying in my fridge right now!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    i hope they are as vigorous as you have described them ^^
    Hellz

Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 09 2005,5:58)]Maybe it has something to do with Florida? I don't mean that to be sarcastic? Let me explain: People in Singapore have expressed their difficulty in cultivating D. capensis. Singapore is hot and humid. So is Florida. Is correlation causality?
    The problem with having D. capensis germinate may be the air quality/type, if anything else. D. capensis is a very hardy "weed" by nature, and will supposedly grow in almost any climate...but not singapore's unfortunetely. It is possibly something is the air, which is about the only reason I can think of.

Aliciae[Edit: Drosera aliciae, species names are a combination of the genus (in this case, Drosera) and the (specific epithet, never capitalized). Only together are they the species name.] cannot grow in singapore as well. They sprout, but then konk out afterward. So is it with D. capensis. This is getting scary...what are the weather conditions in Florida?

Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast