What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis (red)

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
This is a shoebox size plastic tray. In the center there is a small 2" plastic pot with an inch of gravel in its bottom. I initially placed a couple of sprigs of live Sphagnum and a small Drosera capensis (Red) in this pot. Since then the Sphagnum has spread, so have the Drosera.

D_capensis_Red_T_web_A4.jpg

Nice, I like the red and green contrast.

Awesome plants! Wish mine were like that.

Excellent. You must be providing very strong light, as usual, for them to get that red under artificial lighting. I like the red/green contrast as well.
smile.gif

Homer

Dude, are you saying the Sphagnum and plants have grown out of the pot and filled the tray?
Sweet!

Cheers,

Joe

What happened was that I let a few seed from the mother plant germinate in the tray (the weediness thing) and then I harvested a few once they had grown up. Many of the plants throughout the tray have sprouted from broken roots of the seedlings that were removed.

Love the Christmas look! Very beautiful - as always!

Nice plants but sadly I am more interested in the Sphagnum species.

I have a large bale each of the Dried New Zealand Sphagnum and Dried Chilean Sphagnum. When moistened and put into use they both quickly sprout and begin growing again. It is quite lovely to see dead LFS turn to live LFS. Every once in a while I've even seen a few Sphagnum plants sprout on the surface of peat moss when it was being used for CP media.

That IS a really nice display, Joseph, MAN I hope I can wait the 30 years til I can do that too
biggrin.gif

As a sort-of funny addition to this, I nurtured pots of D.indica and D.binata "seedlings"for months(my first attempt at seeds of any sort CP-wise), waiting for them to begin the "upright" phase of growth, but they just sorta grew clumpily and sorta moss-like-ish looking... SO moss-ish looking in fact that I pretty much had to disbelieve that they were anything but the plants I was hoping for, since they looked so much like Sphagnum moss of some sort....

I finally broke down and admitted it about 2 months ago.... pretty nice Sphagnum for me not having planted it...... I guess........

BTW, question for Pinguiculaman- what is the correct way to wriite a species name if all you know is that whatever you think it is, it's definitely NOT
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
?

Forget it, I'll just use
confused.gif
for those from now on..... (and I was joking, not making fun, I have a few things that all I know is what I call it is totally wrong, still working on it though, a better camera will help)

If you know or try to guess the class or family of the plant, such as cacti, succulent, grass, tree, or bush and you know where it is native, or not. The internet can be a wonderful source of information leading to proper identification. Google and other meta-search engines can connect you with experts in just about anything. Colleges and universities often have horticulture and agriculture departments that run public offices whose purposes often include answering questions. It is true that having a digital camera can speed this process up, they can also show you images with which you can use to help I.D. your material too. With the internet and a little practice a great many things are possible. For example, there are even web sites about Sphagnum species which are complete with diagrams and photographs.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Droooooool.....

::Covets::

Back