What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field observations on andean d.communis

Recently I revisited a place where I have found D.communis here in Colombia near a town known as Amalfi.

This time I hoped to find blooming plants because it was the end of the dry season and usually plants around here bloom at this time in order to have seeds formed for the start of the rainy season.

What I found was that some plants but not many were blooming and some more were starting to produce the flower stalk.

Unfortunately I could not find any open flower.

Here are some pics to show this:

D.communis-Amalfi-4.jpg

D.communis-Amalfi-6.jpg

D.communis-Amalfi-7.jpg

An interesting thing i found is that plants from this place bend its old flower stalk down to place the seed pods in contact with the grownd in a similar way to some Pinguicula species which also grow on vertical banks.

You can observe that in the next picture:

D.communis-Amalfi-8.jpg

Finally a close up picture showing how the plant, its leaves and stipules look from close, even with a trapped victim.

D.communis-Amalfi-5.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Sebastián

That is one tall stalk! I'm enjoying it, even with my dial up connection.

Very nice as usual Seb. I especially appreciate the good views of the flower scape. Thanks much for the nice post!

Man.. what jimscott said, I am hoping nothing in my collection has flowers that tall
biggrin.gif

Those are some cool habitat pictures, Seb, thanks for posting them!!

Back