Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera filiformis var. tracyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference between Filiformis tracyii[Edit: "Filiformis" is not a CP genus name. I believe the species referred to here is, Drosera filiformis var. tracyi] and Filiformis filiformis[Edit: "Filiformis" is not a CP genus name. I believe the species referred to here is, Drosera filiformis]? I have seen pics of them but do not know what the main difference between them is.

John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On page 138 of Savage Garden, Mr. D'Amato states that ssp. tracyi[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. tracyi] is similar to ssp. filiformis[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. filiformis], except that the tentacles are green and the leaves reach 20" in length. Furthermore, the cross between the two subspecies produces the California Sunset cultivar, if I am reading this correctly. Below is a picture of the cultivar:

[Edit: Some taxonomists list these as Drosera filiformis with subspecies "filiformis" and "tracyi"; others as "filiformis" with a variety "tracyi"]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/D.%20filiformis%20(California%20Sunset).jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Wish I had one now.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm sure a leaf cutting can be spared... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should spare yer poor cat, Jim.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll shoot a PM to my friendly hacker and keeper of my avatar.It's time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my observation, the easiest way to tell the difference is that "vanilla" D. filiformis has fairly obviously red dew-hairs (sorry for getting all technical) and D. filiforims var.tracyi(FIXED-sorry Pinguiculaman)[Edit: Actually written: Drosera filiformis var. tracyi] has whitish-clear hairs, so the dew makes them look really bright when light hits them, almost like trees after an icestorm...

This is from observing small specimens of both side-by-side, I don't doubt that the full sized versions will show more discrepancies
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 20 2005,1:31)]On page 138 of Savage Garden, Mr. D'Amato states that ssp. tracyi[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. tracyi] is similar to ssp. filiformis[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. filiformis], except that the tentacles are green and the leaves reach 20" in length. Furthermore, the cross between the two subspecies produces the California Sunset cultivar, if I am reading this correctly. Below is a picture of the cultivar:

[Edit: Some taxonomists list these as Drosera filiformis with subspecies "filiformis" and "tracyi"; others as "filiformis" with a variety "tracyi"]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/D.%20filiformis%20(California%20Sunset).jpg[/img]
    Though the cross between Drosera filiformis and Drosera filiformis var. tracyi could frequently produce the cultivar Drosera 'California Sunset'. It cannot be assumed that this hybrid is this cultivar. There are forms, such as a red pigment free and white flowered form of Drosera filiformis that could be expected to produce a hybrid form dissimilar from Drosera 'California Sunset'. In any case to be considered the cultivar, the plants would need to conform to the cultivar description and standard photograph.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast