Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaf cuttings

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a D. nidiformis leaf that has been floating in a container of distilled water for a couple of weeks. It is producing at least one plantlet off the lamina. Very easy. A number of plants will do this so...perhaps try an experiment. Try a leaf pull or cutting in soil...and one in water. See which produces most easily.

It is usually easier to get basal tissue (the whiter stem at the base of a leaf) if you pull it off instead of cutting it off. Just be careful and do it gently.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I find D. nidifomis hard to make cuttings of. Maybe it's jsut my plant.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't tried them in pure water, give it a shot. Seems to work quite well with some drosera.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I put a D. binata leaf in a capped 50 ml centrifuge tube a few weeks ago. To my surprise and amazement, yesterday, I counted 15-20 points of new growth; that is, new plants. It's like having a D. filiformis.
    Jim,
    Curious about some of the details:
    - was there water in the tube?
    - lighting intensity & duration?
    - temps (approx)?

Quote[/b] ]I have a D. nidiformis leaf that has been floating in a container of distilled water for a couple of weeks. It is producing at least one plantlet off the lamina.
    PAK,
    - temps (approx)?

Thanks folks for any details you can provide. I regularly propagate all of my plants (sometimes too much). Usually I place them in live sphagnum in an east window in one of those little plastic sandwich clamshells. Based on various posts (going back to at least 2002), it seems a lot of people have had success with distilled H2O - so I'm trying that with some plants. Some people use just window light, some use incandescent, some use fluorescent, some for 24/7.... What works for you?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ April 29 2005,7:33)]
    Quote[/b] ]I put a D. binata leaf in a capped 50 ml centrifuge tube a few weeks ago. To my surprise and amazement, yesterday, I counted 15-20 points of new growth; that is, new plants. It's like having a D. filiformis.
    Jim,
    Curious about some of the details:
    - was there water in the tube?
    - temps (approx)?
    Hi Ron,

I tried several leaves in separate 50 ml capped centrifuge tubes, filled to 90 % capacity with deionized water.

The total failures were: C. follicularis, VFT, P. "Sethos". In complete contrast, the D. binata & filiformis were astonishing successes. I simply placed at a SW - facing window sill. No other chemicals were used.

I now have another experimental set up with a shallow tray with sand & peat, topdressed with (currently) dried LFS. I also have the live to use. It is at a SE window and loosely covered with saran wrap. It is partial filled with DI water, but not saturated. I am certainly open to suggestions. I have leaves of two varieties of Mexican pings, several VFT's, D. filiformis, and C. follicularis.

Should I substitute the live LFS and/or keep uncovered? Should I have at the SW sill?

I had success with a C. follicularis leaf when I had it in a baggie, partially embedded in the media, sealed, and at the SW sill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12