What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera falconeri

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Next to Drosera 'Big Easy' this is one of my favorites:

D_falconeri_c_web.jpg

very cool, not terribly common in collection at the moment is it?

Wow!!!!!!! What a nice looking, and different looking plant!!!

True, it is not yet very common in collections. I plan to see if I can start to change that in the next couple of years.

What a BEAUTY!!!! This is one plant I'd be willing to kill to see in nature!
smile_m_32.gif

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Hey Joseph,
What's the substrate in that pot? Is that vermiculite(??) or chopped sphagnum or ??

Absolutely gorgeous plant. Your older posts sharing your experiences with growing them have been very helpful w/ all members of this complex - thanks.

This is #1 on my wishlist right now .... someday....
smile_n_32.gif

keep us updated on your work with it. thats one plant i wouldnt mind seeing pics on a regular basis

These tend to enjoy life in the propagator, I wonder if their dormancy can be skipped?
I saw some for sale on a Japanese website, 1000 yen (Approx $10) for a 3 inch plant!

WOW! I think i'm in love. With that plant at least.

Well I am glad some one is going to "share the love" finally. IF only I could read Japanese I might be able to import one. Shipping would cost a bundle though.

That is an amazing pic Pingman.  However, there is a leave that curled up from both sides to the center sure look a bit like the VFT leave to me.  
smile_m_32.gif

long time ago they thought they were related/vft evolved from it.

i think...

Wow. Very nice.
I never saw one red before. I do not know if the others I saw would get red if grown in the same conditions or not.
From what I remember reading up on them, it's been well over a year ago when I first saw them, is that they can be really fussy to grow.
How long have you had this pant, and how has it been doing so far?

I received my first Drosera falconeri at the 2000, ICPS Convention in San Francisco. Since then I have managed to get it to flower 3 times (no seed ever produced), and divided the original plant by crown division and propagated several more from severed leaves. Every so often it slows in its growth for a month or two and looks less attractive then. More recently I received a possibly different clone in the future hopes of cross-pollinating to produce viable seed. I currently have two plants of the initial clone and one of the new clone. All three are doing very well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ May 25 2005,1:19)]Hey Joseph,
What's the substrate in that pot? Is that vermiculite(??) or chopped sphagnum or ??

Absolutely gorgeous plant. Your older posts sharing your experiences with growing them have been very helpful w/ all members of this complex - thanks.

This is #1 on my wishlist right now .... someday....
smile_n_32.gif

The media is; 1/4 inch of LFS in bottom of pot, then a mixture of granulated peat moss::3/16 inch, white plastic coated aquarium gravel (3::1), and finally a topping of a 1/4 inch layer of 12 grit "Santa Fe Brown" gravel from our local landscaping supply center. I sieve it from their smallest grade and rinse the dust off of it before use.

Beautiful plants Joseph...I sense that it is not the mix but all the TLC you are giving them that is causing them to thrive. Do you really measure out the mix to the inch and sieve-rinse every bit? I admire that, most people just dump in a handful of whatever they can find lying around!
smile_n_32.gif

Must keep that recipe next time I repot...
smile.gif

you should name that VFT 'falconeri'! it looks so much like a VFT

Isn't it part of the petiolaris complex so you would have to cross it?

Yes, part of the petiolaris complex it is. Hence, a trading buddy provided me with a likely second clone to cross-pollinate with. Now, if they will cooperate and bloom simultaneously.

Well you should definatly get your own little farm going. Then you culd be giving away plants (hint, hint). I'm sure no one would mind.

Back