Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. ascendens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, D. ascendens is a nice little gem. I've always wanted to give mine more light but only by now am I able to have the possability of thinking up something creative enough. Mine:
    Longest leaf: 4.5 cm
    Height: 7cm tall
    I'll try to post a pic in a few minutes...

Edit: The pic attempt. Note, the camera I used is pretty bad and the flash takes away just about all the red colouration of the plant in the picture making it look rather sickly. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] One of these days I'll take a pic of this plant with a decent camera, it's more dewy in person. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

This one was taken 2005-06-12

This one was taken 2004-08-16
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the more heat sensitive Brasillian species in my experience. A few days of over 80F are probably acceptable, but I would avoid long periods of warm water about the roots. Optimal range would be 50-70F, and a night time drop is advisable if not mandatory for long term success. I have also noted flowering and seed set tends to deplete the plant, and at this time high temps should be carefully avoided. Plants do return from the roots if the rosettes die back, but this is not reliable.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

To keep the roots cool i use rather big pots, which are themselves embed into larger pots. The interspace is filled up with sphagnum. It is similar to what is called 'Slack Potting' for Drosophyllum. This helps to keep the roots cooler. I measure a difference of about 5C on a hot day. With this setup my plants are standing in my greenhouse, where the temperatures can reach about 35C. If it gets that hot, they are shaded. This has not yet been a problem for any of my south american plant. I also grow Heliamphora hispidula like that. The most important thing for me is to give the plants a good temperature drop at night. This is, except for maybe three to four weeks, no problem in Germany.

Christian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12