Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas what this is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found few Drosera images that might match this but I'm still at a loss for what these little plants really are-

This photo I believe is D. occidentalis-

This third photo I believe is D. burmannii-

This 4th photo I believe is D. dielsiana-

Please don't be shy, correct me on any you believe I have misidentified.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, they're all sundews! I'll have to check the D. dielsiana out at work to be sure. The third pic doesn't seem to have tentacles wide enough to be D. burmanni. Wait for the real CP experts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- Probably D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis.
    2- Probably D. nitidula ssp. nitidula x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis.
    3- Definitely D. burmannii
    4- Definitely D. dielsiana

All could do with a touch more light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim, you and me are in the same boat! We should congratulate ourselves for being able to identify them as Drosera! Yay!

Hey Seandew, I'll try to get better photos today by taking the plants outside for a little photo session. Thanks so much for confirming photo #3 and #4. I spent hours at the Humboldt site holding the plants in their little pots up to the computer monitor. Gosh, I love that site.

You know something, you are about the 10th person to comment about the plants I have inside needing more light. Those particular plants were in front of a window receiving about 7 hours of afternoon light and additionally had a nice big wattage grow light trained on them. I need to check something out with my windows. Something is not sitting right with me based on all the comments I receive about plants needing more light that are in front of my windows. A light is going off in my head right about now and I am beginning to get a sinking feeling here. I need to do a little bit of research on my windows. There's a file here somewhere that has specs on the products chosen back from when we built this home.

About that second photo, I did find something on the Internet that might be a match for it other than D. occidentalis. Something called D. x 'Beermullah'. Does this make sense to anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D x "Beermullah"= D. nitidula ssp. omissa x D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis. Your plant could easily be this hybrid, that's why I wasn't definite in my ID. I'd say that it is one of the 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sean, say... thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Here are two new photos. They certainly aren't the quality that elgecko gets but they are better than what I originally posted here. See if this helps you confirm-

One thing is for sure, with you in the forums I will never go and spend the hours I spent over the past month trying to figure out what I had. I think I looked at about a thousand images merely trying to narrow the identifications down. Again, I thank you.

Also too, I think you are correct on the lighting my plants are receiving. I may have a problem over here that I never realized I had. We have some sort of specialty windows that are reducing the "damaging" effects of sun. I am thinking this is not good for plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, please tell us novices what the "Humboldt site" is.

Thanks,

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Hortman @ June 11 2005,8:54)]Laura, please tell us novices what the "Humboldt site" is.

Thanks,

John
    Humboldt site

Also known as the carnivorous plant photo finder. It's an incredibly powerful tool created and maintained by our Robert Ziemer. I don't know how he does it.... but I hope he keeps on doing it.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast