What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.binata - dormancy requirement?

Hi,

Do D.binata require dormancy? Savage garden says "yes" and an exhaustive search of past posts shows some saying "yes" and others saying "no." Seems like growing conditions were the big determinant of whether the answer was a yes or no.

I have a D.binata that's been growing in a terrarium under fluorescent lights for 1yr (5" under 120W, 12h photoperiod, 70-80F, 80% humidity). It was growing nicely until 2mo ago when leaves began dying with no new leaves being formed. 2wks ago, the last leaf died and now there's nothing left on the surface save for a couple of buds (from which the leaves originated) which are dark brown/black.

It was standing in 2" water, but since dying back, I've let it dry out and have been holding back on water so as to keep soil just moist.

Any help would be appreciated. What else should I do with this plant?

Thanks.

I would guess it needs dormancy.

I received a D. binata cutting from BCK last summer and put it outside for the duration, into the fall. In mid-November, I took it, along with the rest of my collection in doors, back to the lab, for the winter. By then, the D. binata, as well as my D. filiformis (California Sunset) looked like "death warmed over". Th filiformis just plain looked dead, black. Both, apparently "died back" had that hibernacula look about them. In January, I guess in response to increased window sill photoperiod and maybe warmer conditions than outside, greenery returned. both of those plants have since clumped, flowered, and are back outside again. Whether people are using terms "died back" and dormancy synonymously or not, I cannot say. There is also the variable of different cultivars having differing growing conditions, as in one cultivar is cold hardy and another may not be. All I can say for sure is that whatever I have, they sure looked and acted dormant.

i think the original form does but i know alot of the other forms dont

Greetings,

According to Adrian Slacks book the 't-form' and 'dichotoma' varieties go into dormacy for 1-2 months.

I received a VFT back in March that also happened to have a very dead looking D. binata var. T-Form growing in the pot. All the leaves were dead and there was a small black bud in the center. Being hopefull, I potted it up separately. In 2 months it began to grow new leaves, and now it looks good.

brian

All my binatas go without dormancy as I grow them as tropicals year round. They flower when they like it. I think they were not given dormancy since they emerged from TC, so there ya go.

depends on your clone. mine goes into a sorta dormancy. for a couple months, sorta quits growing, bout half the leaves die back. than a few months later its growing and looking great again. not what i call atrue dormancy but it deffinatly has a rest period

my D. filliformis will put itself into dormancy without much of a change in its light cycle and never getting below 60 degrees. it forms a resting bud(i forget the correct term) while sitting beside my D. capensis which grows happily year round.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like almost everyone's D.binata goes through a 1-2mo "dormancy" period. (By the way, I have the 'T form.')

How did you guys water it when "dormant"?

Last time my Binatas decided to go under in August. I feared they were dying so I put them in fridge dormancy with the rest of my plants. They're coming back now, although I hope that was enough rest until next year

i just left them in the tray along side all my other Drosera, they did fine.

Back