Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to sundews, new to terraforums: hi everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey everyone

i've been here once or twice, but finally decided to register and become part of the community. i've been fascinated by these plants since i was four or five years old, when i watched a documentary about venus flytraps and sundews.

i'm really excited now because, about a week ago i bought two sundew spathulata growing in two separate 3 inch pots.

i don't have a terrarium for them yet so i have been maintaining humidity and water levels inside starbucks cups, haha. i actually plan to buy a kit from here pretty soon.

do you guys have any additional pearls of wisdom, apart from moving them out of the cups as soon as possible? (honestly though, it made a pretty good make-shift terrarium)

p.s. - i live in seattle, so sunlight is pretty hard to maintaiin. i heard adelae's are pretty good w/ minimal light conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, WELCOME to the forums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Secondly, if sunlight is hard to maintain where you live, you might want to consider a grow light. Third of all, if you are looking for plants that don't need much direct sunlight, adelae would be a great choice.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but on a sunny day that baby will fry [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

you should get artificial lights. you can grow ... anything with the right lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in Seattle, you can grow many CPs outdoors. Here in San Francisco I grow a lot of them despite foggy conditions. I grow VFTs, many sundews, Cephalotus, and Sarracenia outdoors year round, and our conditions are very similar to Seattle's. I suspect growing these things will be easier for you than you think! Your air is plenty humid, and you get enough sun, even on cloudy days.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forums!! Drosera are great beginers plants, and D. spatulata is high on the list for most hardy sundew for beginers, great choice. however this species doesnt require high humidity, you can take the tops off. as a newbie i did far more damage to sundews by giving them lots of humidity and poor air circulation. D. spatulata does fine in average household humidity as do most Drosera. good light and good air circulation will do alot more for this species than high humidity will. trust me, ive got far lower humidity than you or Capslock and 99% of the Drosera species ive tried grow fine in my house without covers.

welcome to our plesent addiction!
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys, thanks for all your replies and welcomes.

i took off the lids on my plants before i left my room, i'm glad i did. i only knocked up the humidity factor because they arrived to me incredibly dry.

a couple of leaves on both plants don't look like they have recovered as well as others, how much do i clip off - if that's what i have to do?

also, if i buy a terrarium, i'm not sure about the soil mix. right now, it doesn't look like i have any of that peat moss that these plants love. is there a good source of reading to find out how to transfer my sundews to a terrarium with a different soil mix?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! Just to add another contrasting opinion.... As a newbie a year-and-ahalf ago, I purchased a "clump" of what I later learned to be D. spatulata. I brought it to work and placed it open tray, on a window sill. After a few weeks, I noticed that there were more plants than I though I originally counted. I started taking planst from the perimeter and put them in new pots. After a half year or so, I had 6 pots of them - and the original clump looked no narrower. Here's a pic, with two more pots added from half price purchases, down the road:

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/120.jpg[/img]

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.

Here's a picture of a 4" pot of my D. spatulata. This plant grows outside spring to fall then inside as a windowsill plant over the winter. As is on a windowsill, no humidity dome or anything. This picture was taken before I placed it back outside. It gets a deep red color when out in the sun.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast