User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drosophyllum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my "first" carnivorous plant (this is not including the lowes stuff) was Drosophyllum seed of which I managed to germinate 3 of 12 seeds. Which admittedly was only 25% but I only had room for 4 plants anyway. These plants were small and not doing expecially well until I moved them outside over this winter. They have grown rapidly. I put the pots in the ground so I would not have to water 5 times a day. After a month one plant died by the base of all the leaves turning brown and then the plant died. When I pulled the pot up I dizcovered that a mole or something had broken through the clay side and I figured it dextroyed the roots. The second plant also had the base of the leaves turn brown about 4 months after being put outside. Then it accidentally got dit with the nextdoor lawnmans lawn mower. The thrid plant I am sad to report has today after 7 months turned brown at the base of all the leaves. I have no idea why. Anyone have any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants are in the ground? Could fertilizer, pesticides, etc. be leaking in from the surrounding area?
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what is happening to my filiformis. When it grew too big the bottom of its leaves began to suddenly turn reddish-brown and the whole thing would flop over. Might humidity be the problem? At that time half the plant/leaf was sticking out of the terrarium.

Yes fertilizer might be a possibility. The last time I checked I saw 3 dead and rotten fly coccoons in my filiformis pot... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] Natural fertilizer perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think humidity can ever be a problem with Drosophyllum. I grow the plant here with full exposure to the Sou. Ca. Inland Empire fury.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fertilizer that I can think of. But why would it not effect three identical pots right next to eachother. I live in Florida so nutrient rich soil must be bought (no joke) and I (not has anyone near me) fertilized since I put them in the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buried the pot in the ground w/o any protection from other soils, then things are bound to happen, the list is endless... could be chemicals from the lawn, dirty water, ect...
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062