What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another d. 'carbarup' question

Does anyone know the definitive name of a plant I have found listed in many different ways? It's Drosera 'Carbarup' and below are some of the many ways which I've found it listed. I suspect the cultivar name 'Carbarup' has never been regisitered. Is the parentage of this plant known?

D. occidentalis ssp. australis and D. nitidula ssp. Nitidula

D. nitidula ssp. nitidula x occidentalis ssp. ? (Carbarup)

D. x ‘Carbarup’

It's interesting that the way these forums are formatted doesn't allow correct nomenclature to be used...i.e. in the title of this post, I entered 'Carbarup' as it should be, but it takes it with the "C" as lower case. Am I doing someting wrong?

Any help will be appreciated,

John

Hello John,

I believe the nitidula parent is known in this natural hybrid to be Drosera nitidula ssp. nitidula, but the occidentalis side of the cross is unknown as to species, unless things have changed since I learned my A B C's. SO the best choice would be Drosera nitidula ssp. nitidula x Drosera occidentalis ssp ?, although I think Drosera x 'Carbarup' is also used correctly.

Tamlin, thanks so much for the info. I can't find any reference to 'Carbarup' as having been registered as a cultivar. Regarding parentage, did you mean D. nitidula ssp. nitidula X D. occidentalis sp.(meaning some species of D. occidentalis)?  You wrote ssp. (for subspecies) after occidentalis.

It was so exciting while searching for drosera cultivars to see that you had registered 'Tamlin'. Is this plant commercially available?

Thanks again,

John

Back