Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petiolaris complex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To try to get some additional interest and discussions going on the Petiolaris complex sundews, I thought I'd post a photo of one of the plants I'm growing.

This group has an incredible range of diversity and some potentially demanding growth requirements and I'd like to tap into the collective knowledge base here to help me grow these buggers.

Notice the similarities to Pingman's D. falconeri photo posted recently...

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, dewy plant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plant Ron. I have this guy fairly fresh out of T.C. (6 weeks now.) I started with just one plant but it has popped up 4 side rosettes, one almost as large as the original. I have it, along with falconeri and paradoxa, in a 10 gallon tank inside along with some Genlisea and U. calicifida clones. I use 2 18" fluorescent tubes and add about 2" of water whenever the tank dries out.

My media is a little unorthodox. I use sand, peat and Georgia red clay (I dig it up from my yard) in a 3:1:1 ratio. The petiolaris really seem to like the mix.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Another Petiolaris complex grower comes out of the shadows! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I have this guy fairly fresh out of T.C. (6 weeks now.)
    I haven't seen these guys available in T/C. Am I just not looking hard enough?

Quote[/b] ]I have it, along with falconeri and paradoxa, in a 10 gallon tank inside along with some Genlisea and U. calicifida clones. I use 2 18" fluorescent tubes and add about 2" of water whenever the tank dries out.
    Do you have a cover on the tank or just open? Any external heating? What's the wattage on the fluorescent tubes? Want to share a photo of your D. falconeri?

Quote[/b] ]My media is a little unorthodox. I use sand, peat and Georgia red clay (I dig it up from my yard) in a 3:1:1 ratio. The petiolaris really seem to like the mix.
    Interesting mix. What prompted you to try it? Is the clay neutral or basic?

Thanks for sharing your info.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I was in the shadows, I am just a wall flower to begin with [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]I haven't seen these guys available in T/C. Am I just not looking hard enough?
    Actually it is not available commercialy through T/C as far as I know. I have a friend that does some small private T/C work and provided seed for him.

Quote[/b] ]Do you have a cover on the tank or just open? Any external heating? What's the wattage on the fluorescent tubes? Want to share a photo of your D. falconeri?
    The tank is covered in as much as the 18" fixtures cover it. I don't have it sealed or anything though. No external heating basically just whatever the house is at (down to 68F in winter and up to 78F in summer.) Occasionally I open the blinds on the near-by window which might add a bit of heat but not all that often.

I'll see if I can get a pic of my falconeri to Joseph in the next couple days.

Quote[/b] ]Interesting mix. What prompted you to try it? Is the clay neutral or basic?
    Well, awhile back there was a whole big thin on laterite as a soil additive for these guys. I read some more back ground and a couple of the descriptions for habitats said something along the lines of "sandy-clay" soil. Someone on the listserv also asked about it and since I am a glutton for punishment I figured an experiment was in order. Not a very scientific on though since I just put the falconeri and kenneallyi and popped a spare paradoxa from the main pot straight into the clay mix (no real controls.) I figured they would either live or die. They lived, and are doing really well.

As for the properties of the clay, given that my hydrangea are blue I would guess it to be neutral/acidic but I have never really had it analyzed
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the words of John Madden, former Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders, "Hey, wait a minute!" Me and Elgecko both have flowering D. paradoxa plants! And as soon as Steve comes up to visit and takes a picture, I will have something decent to post. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

But to give you an idea of what I have going, these plants are at a SW window sill, in peat & sand, topped with (now) live LFS. I water from the open tray everyday. Elegecko's are in a terrarium set up, with earlier and taller flowers than mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

My Petiolaris Complex Drosera are growing in a 10 gallon fish tank. There's about 4 inches of water in the bottom with a 200w fish tank heater set to maximum temperature ~90F. The plants are placed on grid that's supported by upside down pots in order for them to be above the water. I use the tray method. Glass covers the top except for about 1/4" on each side, so some airflow is achieved. The heater goes off with the lights every night. Temperatures range from 85-90 during the day, and around 70 at night. As for RH, it hovers in the 80% range. I'll post a picture later this evening (I hope).

-Homer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast