User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is happening w/ my d. capensis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had one minor aphid infestation on one of my non-CP plants. I usually dunk them in water and/or spray their leaves with a dilute (50%) isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol solution. This works great.

However, the leaves of CPs are more sensitive so I would forego the alcohol. I would also avoid using soap-based agents as these have been known to burn leaves of some CPs. If you only have three small dews with aphids, I would just take a Q-tip, wet it with distilled water, and rub the top and bottom of the leaves to remove the aphids.

If you wish to use an insecticide, malathion will work, but just make sure it's dilute and prepared from powder form (liquid retail insecticides often contain petroleum distillates which can burn the leaves of many CPs).

Good luck with your plants.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything you do right now will have a side effect to this plant because it'll wash away the dewy drops.

It is recommended to use Ortho Systemic Insect Killer. It comes in concentrate in a small bottle. This stuff kills the bugs on contact, and also makes your plant immune to their bite. If a bug bites your plant, it will die. This stuff also protects up to 4 weeks.

Ortho is recommended by the people at Cobraplants.com They use this stuff on their plants and have not seen any harmful effects to the CPs. You can read more information about removing aphids here:

http://www.cobraplants.com/FAQ-7S.html
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drown them for several days by putting their container in a taller one. Don't worry about loss of dew. The aphids are the bigger problem and every plant I have treated as such has recovered. I have read of too many horror stories from the use of chemicals. Hey, if your capensis dies from it - I'll replace it for ya! This has worked for my now blooming capensis as well as adelae & spatulata.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Jim. Your plants will be fine under water for a few days but the aphids will not. Make sure you check any other plants you have as aphids can spread.

Good luck!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim and PAK are very right, drowning is definitely the first thing to try. I've had to resort to insecticides recently, and even the ones that are CP safe seemed to stress the plants. You'll be much happier with the results if you submerge them.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does drowning do in regards to their eggs?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... not sure. I think that aphids are ovoviviparous (they retain their eggs and bear live young, instead of laying the eggs) so if you kill the adults the eggs shouldn't stand a chance. You could always drown the plants several times, until the aphids don't come back. Most people say to leave the plants submerged for three to seven days, and since aphids have such high fecundity I think that any unhatched aphids that were there when you first submerged will have hatched and croaked by the time you take the plant out.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there! Well this afternoon I took a Q-tips and water and tried to clean the plant and cut off all the dead or severe damaged leaves. I think I killed all the aphids, but since they are almost microscopic and I am a little bit blind, even with my glasses, I will keep my eyes over my plants and if the infestation continues I will drown the plant into a large container.

I hope this can help, I really love these guys and I do not want to lose them. And obviouly I do not want to have colonies of aphids on my CPs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast