User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is happening w/ my d. capensis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (emilias_garden @ June 22 2005,8:15)]Hey there! Well this afternoon I took a Q-tips and water and tried to clean the plant and cut off all the dead or severe damaged leaves. I think I killed all the aphids, but since they are almost microscopic and I am a little bit blind, even with my glasses, I will keep my eyes over my plants and if the infestation continues I will drown the plant into a large container.

I hope this can help, I really love these guys and I do not want to lose them. And obviouly I do not want to have colonies of aphids on my CPs.
    I'd just go straight to drowning the plant. I did so a few weeks ago, and I lost a few plants because I did not check them daily. Drown from 3-7 days, making sure everything is submerged. Make sure it gets light while submerged.

And pay attention to your other plants... they are likely infested, too. I've seen this a few times, and I've learned when I see such twisted leaves always to suspect aphids.

Aphids suck. No pun intended!
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids seem to have an affinity to tropical sundews, the kind that do just as well to be left inside on a window sill all year long - capensis, spatulata, and adelae, in particular. That's just my observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I have a D. Capensis "alba" as well but it's still a seedling and I haven't had any problems with aphids on any of my plants yet...I've never even seen an aphid before. I'm hoping my luck stays the same and I hope those darn things DIE DIE DIIIEEE!! Muwahahaha!..........yeah
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis is pretty good about coming back from it's roots. The other thing you may try is just to cut all of the leaves off and get rid them.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to JJ--whack the leaves. Actually, I've gone even more drastic--last fall had an aphid infestation on my D. capensis that did not repond to my frequent drownings (guess I didn't leave it submerged for long enough to get the next generation of aphids). Finally had enough and whacked the whole plant down to soil level. It came back bigger, better, stronger from the roots. I pulled a few of the non-affected leaves dropped them in distilled water and sprouted 6 new little guys... Hang in there--and drown and whack away! Mike
    Fishing: A Perpetual Series of Occasions for Hope....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123