Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosophyllum seed sowing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'll be sowing some Drosophyllum seed and I've done my reading (scoured old posts!), but still have a few questions:

1. Potting mix: I think I'll use a 1:1 sanderlite mix. I'd also like to use the slack-method for potting. Is the potting mix good and, more importantly, is it appropriate for slack-potting? Any info on slack-potting (is it freqently used, is it "good/bad", etc). The inner pot will be 4" and outer will be 6" (both clay)

2. Seed germination: I think I'll try the method in which seed is soaked in gibberellic acid for 24hrs (with seed endosperm exposed), and seed kept in shallow water (with daily changing) until it germinates. Another popular method, it seems, is placing the seed on pure perlite until it germinates. Any favorites out there?

3. Placing seed in pot: I read that the seed must be placed 1/4" into the potting mix and covered. Am I correct? It seemed a bit strange to me, considering most CP seeds shouldn't be covered.

4. Any other germination and cultivation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to any replies (and to successfully germinating some Drosophyllum!)

Best regards.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the same as dewy pine? Elegecko has one. Ya may wanna contact him about it.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used equal part sand, perlite, and and vermiculite mix for my plant. I do not use the slack-method. I just use an 8" pot.

For seed germination I did not use gibberellic acid. I just lightly sanded the seed pod. I did not bury the seed, just placed on top of my sand perlite mix and let it go.

I kept the soil fairly moist for the first few weeks after germination, and keep it fairly dry.

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

edit: added and vermiculite in soil mix

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info; it's much appreciated.

That looks like a plastic pot--is it? I would prefer using plastic over clay as the latter tends to grow algae and fungus when constantly damp (as it would be for the first few weeks).
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Steve. Is that just indoors with the rest of your plants? I was thinking of trying some in the house here in my South window. How old is your plant and how does the plant fare through the Winter?

Oh yeah.. for anyone that hasn't read it. Jan and Kamil have a fantastic article on their website D. lusitanicum

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,

I have grown Drosophyllum on my south facing windowsill for the last year. It has done very well. I bought it as a seedling, and it flowered a few months ago and has just released several seeds, although I must admit it looks slightly ratty at the moment as the old crown seems to stop growing when it flowers and it'll take a while for the new shoots to grow large. I use a mix of approx 2:1:1 sand/peat/John Innes, as recommended by Slack. My plant's also Slack-potted. Elgecko's plant looks great, however, so there must be more than one way in which to grow this magnificant species successfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chloroplast,
    It is a plastic pot.

Tony,
    I started the plant from seed around this time last year, so about 1 year old.
    It grew indoors as a windowsill plant in a south facing window until this year, late spring when it finally warmed up. Now I have the plant outside in full sun all day. If they are calling for rain I bring the plant back inside the house.
    It was definitely wanting more light then it was getting in the winter. Growing toward the window. I do not supplement the windowsill plants with extra light, which they could use in the short daylight hours of winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg Allan,
    Thanks for the complament.

I just remembered something. My soil mix was equal parts sand, perlite, and vermiculite. I forgot about the vermiculite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast