Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera intermedia 'cuba':

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello! I have heard that some Drosera plants die after they produce bloom. Well, my D. intermedia 'Cuba' is producing flower spike, as a matter of fact this is the second time in this month that has done this. The fisrt time I cut it off the previous flowers spike.

So I am wondering if I should let it bloom or if I should cut this off again. Will my drosera die after blooming, or not? What should I do? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

By the way, this is the girl that I am talking about:

Thanks and please, sugest what I should do? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only have to worry about flowering when your plant isn't healthy. If you are giving it the correct lighting conditions and pure water then you have nothing to worry about (as long as it's healthy). I can't tell from that photo if your plant has dew. If it is lacking dew than I'd chop off the flower stalk.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under normal conditions, there wouldn't be any problems with this species after flowering. As suggested above, if the plant is struggling, cut off the stalk. This species thrives on light and water, if that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those plants that usually die after flowering are annuals (or have an annual tendency), such as D. indica, D. brevifolia, D. burmannii, D. glanduligera. If you do not let them flower and reseed, you will soon no longer have that plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Guys, thanks for the help. Then I will let my plant produce its bloom. My plant is healthy; it does have dew on its tentacles (the picture was not that good, so that detail cannot be seen, sorry).

Now I have another question. Once the flowers are mature, should I pollinate it? Or these plants are self-pollinating? I have already make some leaf cuttings to multiply my plant (the cuttings are on its process), but I would like to make also some seed propagation.

Thanks so much again;0)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Once the flowers are mature, should I pollinate it? Or these plants are self-pollinating?
    Don't worry about self-pollinating D. intermedia 'cuba'. They'll produce more seed than you know what to do with on their own.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Homer... It has ben a long time since we talked last time:0) The D. scorpioides you sent me populated almost all my CP's pots.

Well i hope to have lots of seeds of my Intermedia 'Cuba'. Is there any special treatment i should give to the seeds? Or simply let them fall over the pots?

Now i am so excited with this bloom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Yeah, it's been awhile. I need to spend more time on the forum. Glad to hear that the scorpiodes are doing well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is there any special treatment i should give to the seeds? Or simply let them fall over the pots?
    I would do both. Let half them fall over the pots, and as for the others try to germinate in pots sealed in plastic containers/bags (like ziplock) close to growlights, etc.

take care,

Homer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast