What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera intermedia 'cuba':

Hello! I have heard that some Drosera plants die after they produce bloom. Well, my D. intermedia 'Cuba' is producing flower spike, as a matter of fact this is the second time in this month that has done this. The fisrt time I cut it off the previous flowers spike.

So I am wondering if I should let it bloom or if I should cut this off again. Will my drosera die after blooming, or not? What should I do?
confused.gif

By the way, this is the girl that I am talking about:
DROSERAINTERMEDIACUBA.jpg

Thanks and please, sugest what I should do?
confused.gif

You only have to worry about flowering when your plant isn't healthy. If you are giving it the correct lighting conditions and pure water then you have nothing to worry about (as long as it's healthy). I can't tell from that photo if your plant has dew. If it is lacking dew than I'd chop off the flower stalk.

Under normal conditions, there wouldn't be any problems with this species after flowering. As suggested above, if the plant is struggling, cut off the stalk. This species thrives on light and water, if that helps.

Some of those plants that usually die after flowering are annuals (or have an annual tendency), such as D. indica, D. brevifolia, D. burmannii, D. glanduligera. If you do not let them flower and reseed, you will soon no longer have that plant.

Hello Guys, thanks for the help. Then I will let my plant produce its bloom. My plant is healthy; it does have dew on its tentacles (the picture was not that good, so that detail cannot be seen, sorry).

Now I have another question. Once the flowers are mature, should I pollinate it? Or these plants are self-pollinating? I have already make some leaf cuttings to multiply my plant (the cuttings are on its process), but I would like to make also some seed propagation.

Thanks so much again;0)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Once the flowers are mature, should I pollinate it? Or these plants are self-pollinating?

Don't worry about self-pollinating D. intermedia 'cuba'. They'll produce more seed than you know what to do with on their own.

-Homer

Hey Homer... It has ben a long time since we talked last time:0) The D. scorpioides you sent me populated almost all my CP's pots.

Well i hope to have lots of seeds of my Intermedia 'Cuba'. Is there any special treatment i should give to the seeds? Or simply let them fall over the pots?

Now i am so excited with this bloom:D

Yeah, it's been awhile. I need to spend more time on the forum. Glad to hear that the scorpiodes are doing well for you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there any special treatment i should give to the seeds? Or simply let them fall over the pots?

I would do both. Let half them fall over the pots, and as for the others try to germinate in pots sealed in plastic containers/bags (like ziplock) close to growlights, etc.

take care,

Homer

Hello Guys!

Ok.. I will follow your advice, Homer. Thanks a lot!!!!
smile.gif

Hello SarraceniaScott! No, I bought this one to Dean Cook.

Do you have pictures of yours that can share with us here?

Have a great evening,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

[b said:
Quote[/b] (emilias_garden @ June 23 2005,5:15)]Hello SarraceniaScott! No, I bought this one to Dean Cook.

Do you have pictures of yours that can share with us here?

Have a great evening,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden
Mine look ugly right now... they were victims of an aphid attack, and after drowning them to kill the aphids, the sundews themselves are mostly dead.

They may recover, but they look awful right now.

I may have to hit you up for seed...
smile.gif

Hello SarraceniaScott! So you are having the same problem that i have with my D. Capensis and the aphids... Well once you have them recovered, I hope they do, do not forget to post pics of them
smile.gif

Back