What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting d. paradoxa!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
finally! i'm going to put it in my terrarium RIGHT under 440 watts of vho. the temp that high up into the terrarium is high 80's low 90's and humidity is mid 80's. good air circulation.

any tips or tricks with this species? i'm VERY excited!

I sprouted mine from seed last Summer and I kept them open tray at our kitchen window sill for Fall & Winter. They grew, but not well. When I moved them to the lab, and had them at a SW window sill, they reddened, grew, and are currently flowering. Hope to have pics in the near future. That's been my experience. From what I have been reading, they like warm, moist conditions. Elgecko has his in a terrarium and they did a whole lot better than what I had going at home. His are also flowering. Homer & RL..... are the more experienced growers of this plant.

i've been looking for them forever and then i saw that forbes was selling them. i REALLY hope mine thrives.

Selling? I coulda....

Drosera paradoxa is one of my favourite sundews. I grow it from seed that I sowed in February 2004. I grow my plants in a peat/sand mix in an unheated room temperature terrarium under grow lights. They are virtually always standing in water. They do very well for me, and they do best when the terrarium gets very hot in summer. They also flower incessantly. I find it necessary to remove most flower stalks as they appear, as they exhaust the plants. I have also noticed that they respond very well to feeding, and always seem to experience a growth spurt soon after being fed (this is not a scientifically proven fact, it is simply my opinion based on my observations). Your conditions sound fine. I think this is a relatively undemanding species as long as it gets sufficient light & heat. It doesn't seem prone to suddenly dropping dead! Good luck.

jim- yeah over at cpuk 10 bucks a pop. really nice plants too with pics.

Greg- i'm mostly worried about light. it may turn my nepenthes leaves red but it's barely enough to keep my drosera very red in the winter! pretty scraggley.

I've been sending these plants to Florida, California, and Oklahoma for free. Clint, we need to talk...

lol. well i already sent out the money order so... live and learn
smile.gif
if it flowers i'll ask you for some pollen and we'll share the seed.

Deal!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have also noticed that they respond very well to feeding, and always seem to experience a growth spurt soon after being fed (this is not a scientifically proven fact, it is simply my opinion based on my observations).

Hi Greg,
Could you provide the details on how you feed your plants?
Thanks.

Why not? The seeds were given freely to me, as has 90 % of my collection. I'm a non-profit organization!
laugh.gif

JLAP, your lighting should be fine.  My paradoxa has good coloration in a 55gal sitting 4" under only 160W. (80-85F daytime, 85% humidity, good air circulation).

It's a very nice plant....you'll love it.

D. paradoxa seem tolerable of a variety of growing conditions. Of course, the more light the better as you all know. Unlike D. petiolaris, paradoxa can withstand lower humidity and thrive. I feed my plants freeze dried blood worms on weekends.
smile_m_32.gif

happy growing,

Homer

Back