What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ortho systemic insect killer

162566_4.jpg

Is this stuff safe to use on sundews, if I find it impractical to drown them in water to kill aphids?

I have used it for some time with no bad effects on the plants. Acephate is the active ingredient in Orthene. Fenbutatin oxide was probably added to control mites, for which Acephate was less effective.

Does it need to be diluted?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ June 24 2005,4:01)]Does it need to be diluted?
Yes.

I used 2 tsp in a 32-oz mister.

Do this outside, and take your plants outside to spray them.

Acephate smells like sewage.

Yeah it does have a smell to it..but it goes away.

It calls for 2TBSP per 1 gallon of water.

Also how has its effects been? Aphids dead?

Can this only be purchased online? Home Depot has Ortho products, but not this one.

Aphids are dead fast with a single treatment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 24 2005,6:48)]Can this only be purchased online? Home Depot has Ortho products, but not this one.
I bought mine at a garden shop. Not sure if you have a Petitti garden center by you, but check your local garden centers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ June 24 2005,5:04)]Yeah it does have a smell to it..but it goes away.

It calls for 2TBSP per 1 gallon of water.

Also how has its effects been?  Aphids dead?
I used 2 tsp (teaspoons) in a 32-oz mister of distilled water.

Aphids seem to be dead, but I'll be checking.

It caused the leaves of my D. capensis to curl as if they had caught prey, but they've returned to normal. No harmful effects to the plants thus far observed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 24 2005,6:48)]Can this only be purchased online? Home Depot has Ortho products, but not this one.
I found it on Home Depot's website, and I also found it at my local Home Depot.

Print out the label (see my post above), and bring it to Home Depot. They will help you locate it.

I found it today, down the inside seasonal aisle - $10.

What's the problem?? Good stuff!! The active ingredient is an A1 insect killer, and kills aphids, thrips, scale, mealybugs, and whitefly. I use it on all my CP without problems. I only wish it worked on cutworm.

i used it on my D. adelae once. fried it up pretty good....

it's fine now though. took a couple months to get growing agian.

It twisted the pitchers very badly on my Sarracenia last year after I sprayed and is STILL twisting some of them this year when the new ones emerged. I erred on the less is better side of mixing.

I have scale on my Sarracenia (a rubra subsp.) and on a Nepenthes that is now dead. Lets see what this stuff can do!
smile.gif

Did you get the scale under control?? With it being systeminc it might even kill the adult scale. Did it work? I have some scale in the GH that I am tired of removing manualy.

I use a homemade recipe that even kills ants on contact,and has proven safe on my VFT. I posted all about it in general discussions.

Back