User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Propagating d. binata (multifida extrema)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it just that certain species do better with certain methods, or is it more a matter of growing conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Did you replace the distilled water every day, or did you just put it into a sterilized tube/jar and cover it.

Also, a couple of questions for the two of you, if you don't mind:

1. I assume you sterilized your containers. What did you use to do this?

2. I noticed that some of the stems have what appears to be "rot." How do you deal with this and other pesky problems like mold growth (plant tissue itself often has spores and fungi growing on and in it)?

3. Do any of you use artificial lighting on your cuttings? Any advice on this?

Thanks a lot!

PS: My D.binata (T form) just awoke from a few weeks of restful slumber. A few years ago, I would have thrown out any plant that lost all of its visible vegetation (just out of frustration). Thank God for this board.....and for giving me slightly greater patience! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I didnt replace the water at all, just topped it off when the level got a little low.

I used a plain old canning jar, no sterilization no cover just a jar, water, and a chopped up leaf.

The black stem pieces that didnt sprout I just tossed out.

I used artificial lights while the cuttings were in the jar but as soon as I planted them into the media I put them outside in a partially sunny area to harden them off. Eventually they will be moved into full sun along with the rest of my plants.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of full sun, i have a question about growing plants outside. My Gowlist:
    D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. sessifolia, H. Hetrodoxa x minor, N. Ventrosica, N. gracilis, d. madagascaris, 2 typical vft, 1 big mouth vft, S. judith?, S. minor, d. regia, d. borneo 8, d. scorpiodos, s. purpurea.

which of these plants should i move from my terrarium to outside? Which should i put in full sun? how much full sun? I have never tried outside growing, having just started w/ cps in september last year.

~jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah,
    and soon to have d. capensis seeds, p. lucitania seeds, and the d. binata (multifida extrema)

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that I have noticed is that I have better results if I keep the entire leaf or as much as possible in contact with the peat. I have also had very good results with various sundews using the same method Ozzy uses. As for sterilizing the containers, I run them through the dish washer or wash them with dishsoap and hot water then rinse thoroughly. That is usually all that's needed.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what temperature are your cuttings at, guys? I have tried twice but the leaves all turned black within a couple of days in distilled water. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine vary from 60's->80's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast