User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Propagating d. binata (multifida extrema)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LeftCoast @ June 24 2005,6:52)]If you get a chance, please post pix. Would love to see your setup.
    I would love to, but my digital camera is a piece of junk. The macro setting doesn't do much good, so it's pretty useless for small things.

I want to get the Canon EOS 20D... One can dream...
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]Nice job! Did you replace the distilled water every day, or did you just put it into a sterilized tube/jar and cover it.
    I used one of those clear small plastic cubes that they sell VFTs in at Lowe's. I used it upside down, so the dome was the water receptacle, and the base was the cover. I added distilled water and forgot about them.

Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]Also, a couple of questions for the two of you, if you don't mind:

1. I assume you sterilized your containers. What did you use to do this?
    Actually, no, I did not sterilize. In the future, I would probably use Iodophor. I brew beer, so I have plenty of it on hand.

Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]2. I noticed that some of the stems have what appears to be "rot." How do you deal with this and other pesky problems like mold growth (plant tissue itself often has spores and fungi growing on and in it)?
    I ignored it. There was something there, but it didn't consume the plant, and doesn't appear to have harmed it.

Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]3. Do any of you use artificial lighting on your cuttings? Any advice on this?
    100% fluorescent lighting.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 27 2005,9:09)]do you have extra D. filiformis? i'd be very interested....
    I currently have one 'California Sunset' in the live LFS and I can also get more cuttings.

Tre: The tubes are cleaned by the manufacturer. I am unfamiliar with the "popped bag" phrase.

One can easily improvise, as Sarracenia Scott has. A glass jar w/lid or a cleaned peanut butter jar is the same concept. You can use your household items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.....it's nice for a worry-wort like me to hear that immaculate sterilization, daily water changes, etc. are not absolutely necessary for success.

Based on how easy it sounds, I'll try this on my D.binata when it has a couple of leaves to spare.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 28 2005,4:27)]Thanks.....it's nice for a worry-wort like me to hear that immaculate sterilization, daily water changes, etc. are not absolutely necessary for success.
    It happens all the time in nature, with far less optimum conditions even than what I provide.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh...60-80s...Cooked my leaf cuttings, I did. Try again in a cooler place, I must.

Lights required? A cool and bright place...difficult here in Singapore! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too bad.

Well, I just took some leaf cuttings of my D.graminifolia and put them in water.....hopefully, I'll have better luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ July 06 2005,11:51)]That's too bad.

Well, I just took some leaf cuttings of my D.graminifolia and put them in water.....hopefully, I'll have better luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Let me/us know how it turns out. I have the 'spiralis' form, from seed, cultivating.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast