What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating d. binata (multifida extrema)

Several months ago, I cut off the inflorescence from my D. binata (multifida extrema). I cut it into several 1.5" segments, and floated these in distilled water.

I noticed yesterday that they are beginning to sprout roots and send up plantlets.

When they are a bit bigger, I will cut the stems into pieces, each containing one plantlet, and put them in wet peat.

I am guessing i will get about a dozen plantlets out of this.

Depending on how fast it grows, I should have them available to trade/gift in a few months.

I also tried a leaf cutting... when i had lost all hope, when I saw no green left, I finally found one or two plantlets growing, with the aid of a hand lens.

It takes a very long time with this variety, though. Several (3-4) months to see results.

If you get a chance, please post pix. Would love to see your setup.

I am currently propogating D. binata ('Straight Up') in swampy, live LFS. I have also had success with tossing leaves of this and D. binata in capped 50 ml centrifuge tubes. These are very easy species to propogate in just about any manner.

I have shipped them out in the tubes, as is, too. Oh, And I didn't cut them up, but they formed several growth points.

Also, most of the D. binata types will propagate easily from 1/2-inch segments of fleshy roots.

Here is a pic of the cutting I made a few weeks ago.  I just planted them last week, so far all look well.

multisprouts.JPG

Ok, maybe you can tell me what i did wrong. I took a cutting from a friends D. binata. I didnt know how or what to do with it. I clipped the cutting from as close to the gorwing head as possible. Then i cut the cutting into two inch sections and planced them on top of some LFS and lightly covered one end of the cutting....... DEY DIED!!! um.... what did i do wrong. Id like to know because ill be getting a d. binata (multifida extrema) soon and id like to be able to propigate it into an army large enough to kill my housemates cat.

~jeff

Try different methods, as I have. Try a small conatiner of water and put it in front of the window. Try swampy LFS and keep it swampy. Try a baggie with moist media. You may not have done anything 'wrong', since what you have described has been done successfully before. My very first attempt, beginners luck was placing a leaf cutting, dew side up, on moist media and covered, until I saw new growth.

is it just that certain species do better with certain methods, or is it more a matter of growing conditions?

Nice job! Did you replace the distilled water every day, or did you just put it into a sterilized tube/jar and cover it.

Also, a couple of questions for the two of you, if you don't mind:

1. I assume you sterilized your containers. What did you use to do this?

2. I noticed that some of the stems have what appears to be "rot." How do you deal with this and other pesky problems like mold growth (plant tissue itself often has spores and fungi growing on and in it)?

3. Do any of you use artificial lighting on your cuttings? Any advice on this?

Thanks a lot!

PS: My D.binata (T form) just awoke from a few weeks of restful slumber. A few years ago, I would have thrown out any plant that lost all of its visible vegetation (just out of frustration). Thank God for this board.....and for giving me slightly greater patience!
smile.gif

No I didnt replace the water at all, just topped it off when the level got a little low.

I used a plain old canning jar, no sterilization no cover just a jar, water, and a chopped up leaf.

The black stem pieces that didnt sprout I just tossed out.

I used artificial lights while the cuttings were in the jar but as soon as I planted them into the media I put them outside in a partially sunny area to harden them off. Eventually they will be moved into full sun along with the rest of my plants.

Speaking of full sun, i have a question about growing plants outside. My Gowlist:
D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. sessifolia, H. Hetrodoxa x minor, N. Ventrosica, N. gracilis, d. madagascaris, 2 typical vft, 1 big mouth vft, S. judith?, S. minor, d. regia, d. borneo 8, d. scorpiodos, s. purpurea.

which of these plants should i move from my terrarium to outside? Which should i put in full sun? how much full sun? I have never tried outside growing, having just started w/ cps in september last year.

~jeff

Oh yeah,
and soon to have d. capensis seeds, p. lucitania seeds, and the d. binata (multifida extrema)

One thing that I have noticed is that I have better results if I keep the entire leaf or as much as possible in contact with the peat. I have also had very good results with various sundews using the same method Ozzy uses. As for sterilizing the containers, I run them through the dish washer or wash them with dishsoap and hot water then rinse thoroughly. That is usually all that's needed.

At what temperature are your cuttings at, guys? I have tried twice but the leaves all turned black within a couple of days in distilled water.
confused.gif

Mine vary from 60's->80's.

Thanks guys for the info/replies. It's much appreciated.

you know i just did that today. i chopped off about 200 leaves like a lawnmower and threy them in some water outside in a tray. a couple drops of superthrive for the hell of it.

they are marston's dragon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 27 2005,5:31)]you know i just did that today. i chopped off about 200 leaves like a lawnmower and threy them in some water outside in a tray. a couple drops of superthrive for the hell of it.

they are marston's dragon.
LOL! I look forward to your report!

oh it'll work. i've done it before with other stuff.

i call it my "chop 'n' drop" method. patent pending.

Back