User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Propagating d. binata (multifida extrema)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several months ago, I cut off the inflorescence from my D. binata (multifida extrema). I cut it into several 1.5" segments, and floated these in distilled water.

I noticed yesterday that they are beginning to sprout roots and send up plantlets.

When they are a bit bigger, I will cut the stems into pieces, each containing one plantlet, and put them in wet peat.

I am guessing i will get about a dozen plantlets out of this.

Depending on how fast it grows, I should have them available to trade/gift in a few months.

I also tried a leaf cutting... when i had lost all hope, when I saw no green left, I finally found one or two plantlets growing, with the aid of a hand lens.

It takes a very long time with this variety, though. Several (3-4) months to see results.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a chance, please post pix. Would love to see your setup.
    Randy on the LeftCoast
    <a href=\"http://hungryplantbog.blogspot.com/\">Check out my CP Blog&#33;<a>
    <a href=\"http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin/ib312/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=32;t=19442;r=1]\">Grow List<a>

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently propogating D. binata ('Straight Up') in swampy, live LFS. I have also had success with tossing leaves of this and D. binata in capped 50 ml centrifuge tubes. These are very easy species to propogate in just about any manner.

I have shipped them out in the tubes, as is, too. Oh, And I didn't cut them up, but they formed several growth points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, most of the D. binata types will propagate easily from 1/2-inch segments of fleshy roots.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of the cutting I made a few weeks ago. I just planted them last week, so far all look well.

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, maybe you can tell me what i did wrong. I took a cutting from a friends D. binata. I didnt know how or what to do with it. I clipped the cutting from as close to the gorwing head as possible. Then i cut the cutting into two inch sections and planced them on top of some LFS and lightly covered one end of the cutting....... DEY DIED!!! um.... what did i do wrong. Id like to know because ill be getting a d. binata (multifida extrema) soon and id like to be able to propigate it into an army large enough to kill my housemates cat.

~jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, and they are really cool

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try different methods, as I have. Try a small conatiner of water and put it in front of the window. Try swampy LFS and keep it swampy. Try a baggie with moist media. You may not have done anything 'wrong', since what you have described has been done successfully before. My very first attempt, beginners luck was placing a leaf cutting, dew side up, on moist media and covered, until I saw new growth.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast