Several months ago, I cut off the inflorescence from my D. binata (multifida extrema). I cut it into several 1.5" segments, and floated these in distilled water.
I noticed yesterday that they are beginning to sprout roots and send up plantlets.
When they are a bit bigger, I will cut the stems into pieces, each containing one plantlet, and put them in wet peat.
I am guessing i will get about a dozen plantlets out of this.
Depending on how fast it grows, I should have them available to trade/gift in a few months.
I also tried a leaf cutting... when i had lost all hope, when I saw no green left, I finally found one or two plantlets growing, with the aid of a hand lens.
It takes a very long time with this variety, though. Several (3-4) months to see results.