Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D.capensis, d.burmannii, b.liniflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, guys, for the info.

Jim, you said that byblis are prone to drying--I assume you mean soil? And your comment about humidity worries me....I ran out of terrarium space and I was considering growing the seedlings/adult plant under fluros in my new setup. Its a mini plant stand with multiple shelves and a plastic cover.

The lighting will be good, humidity between 60-70%, and temps 80-85F. I was planning on growing plants open tray. You're growing yours on a windowsill, open tray so it sounds like they could do good in my new setup.

But perhaps I should cover the seed while germinating?

What do you/anyone think?

Thanks.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine covered when germinating the first few times. Someone (Pinguiculaman?) said they can grow in water. So I figure that a media of peat & sand with live LFS, kept wet and uncovered, would be a good idea. So far so good. Temps are also in the upper 80's in the afternoon. I just don't have anything in terraria or with artificial lighting. I depend upon window sills for most of what I have and for the most part, things are good. I cringe when Winter hits, though. Yes, that's drying soil. I went away for a few days and when I came back, about half of the plants died. They were open tray, on a kitchen window sill. I alternated between covering and uncovering. With the swampy conditions, I don't worry about drying or low humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. burmannii is a tricky one to grow from seed. They don't seem to all grow in intervals, instead one might pop up in a week. Then after maybe months the rest all the sudden sprout.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just great! (sarcasm).
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with Byblis seeds is that they need a lot of sunlight (and presumably heat) to germinate. I have to put them (covered) in full sunlight for germination; without that, there was no germination. Furthermore, I'm in Singapore, where 30C days are the norm!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12