What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera trinata? (really is a binata)

Has anyone ever seen a binata or other forked sundew split into 3 branches? My binata "Giant T-Form" has just put out a new leaf and it has 3 branches. darndest thing you ever saw!

Any sort of explanation for this behavior?

Sam

My d. binata regularly puts out three and four forks in addition to it's usual two.

smile.gif

There are other cultivars that do some funky branching - "Multifida Extrema", "Marston Dragon",...

Every now and then my D. dichotoma will fork on one side and not on the other, giving it a ternary look. I think it has to do with the growing conditions or something; the odd leaves only show up shortly after I've gone too long without watering or moved the plant to a new location.
~Joe

Interesting. THis is the first time my binata has decided to put out 3 branches on a fork. Condition-wise, the only thing to happen is that our weather has warmed appreciably in the last week or two while it was developing.

It looks cool, I was just wondering if it was common. Now, I see that it is.

Thanks,

Sam

Wait, you mean there are three branches from a single forking point? Can you post a picture? I just meant that mine branches unevenly sometimes; one side of the main leaf will just be straight with one point, and the other side will fork into two. Three branches from one point sounds pretty unique to me.
~Joe

Seedjar, the most common forking is 2 on one side, and 1 on the other for the three pointer.

Ya, I'll take a pic later tonight. Been meaning to do it anyways. I'ts pretty cool.

Sam

Ok, here's a pic of it. The leaves look like a 'Y' instead of looking like a straight line.

HPIM0846.jpg

Ah, yeah, that's the kind I get too. I thought you meant it forked something like a lowercase 't' rather than a 'Y.'
~Joe

Back