What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to my d. indica ?

droseraguy

Illinois
They were growing fine from seed started 4/13. In the last 3 weeks they progressively went down hill. Not much left now but the memories. I didn't see any fungus gnat larva and sprayed with 1/2 strength captan when they started turning. Anyone got ideas ?

this is an annual species, did it flower and seed before it died? Because in nature they flower and set down seed then die

that would have been nice but no. maybe the sunroom got warm too fast ? it's been very hot out there lately 90+ F. I moved them to the basement approx. 70 F but they still went down from there, kinda like the grass I haven't mowed for a month.

well how long did it live for? Sometimes they dont set seed at all and just die after about a year

in total probably only 2 1/2 months, they got about 1" to 1.5" tall with 10 or so leaves each. My D. adelae seemed to go dormant at the same time but has now come back with more growth since being covered up and cooled off. I think maybe the D. indica just fried their roots ? How long do they generally live in months ?

2 and 1/2 months is short, even for an annual.....I dont know anymore, lets wait utnill an expert comes on

root rot.

Everything else is moved from the (west side) sunroom and onto the cooler (east side) porch or down in the basement (the remainder of the seedlings). Nothing else has kicked the bucket so I was wondering if the D. indica is picky. Illinois plains are finally cooling off. It's too bad we had to wait for a hurricane to get a little rain.

Drosera guy mine seemed to just go down hill after feeding ( ironically). I hope some of mine make it but they seem to be suffering

This species only has 3 roots, and if they are compromised the plant goes to the big bog in the sky. I never had success with this species. I doubt it is a heat issue since this is a true tropical. My guess is that the substrate may have something in it that led to fungal or bacterial attack. My best results came from growing it in almost pure sand with very little organic matter.

It sounds like the most likely culprit is the peat, too much of it kept too wet. I drenched everything with captan 2 weeks ago and it helped. Keeping things a little more on the dry side, has also helped the D. scorpioides. Too wet and too deep of a pot. Live and learn. Thanks everyone !!
smile.gif

Back