What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reppoting drosera paradoxa

Hi everyone,
my ill D.paradoxa has recovered since Amori sent it to me, and its produced the deepest ruby red colouring that Ive ever see on a sundew. It has now filled outs its pot and is growing quickly, as well as sending up 3 flower stalks.
If not my favorioute sundew, its one of my favorioute by a very long way. My mum loves it aswell.
I would like to repot it so it has more room to make growth.
My first question is: What potting mix is the best for them? Just a normal 2:1, peat:sand mix?

And the second is: Do I have to take extra care when reppoting? Is this one sensitive to root disturbance like D.scorpiodes?
thanks for your help,
Dino

I think you can have variation in potting mix, as we all do and it won't make a significant difference. Mine are flowering and they are in an undetermined mix of sand and peat, with LFS on top, which has since become live LFS. I have them open tray, at a SW sill.

As far as re-potting is concerned, yes, treat is you would a D. scorpiodes. I have shipped several out and my initial attempts, bare root, were failures or near failures. The more developed of a root system a plant has, the more likely it will suffer shock when being disturbed. I would try to remove the whole pot's contents as one unit and place it in the new pot and then fill in where necessary. Then water it to pack it down slightly.

2/1/1 sand/peat/perlite here.

I used 50/50 pete/perlite mix for Jimscott's paradoxa that he sent me. Mine turned red as well
smile.gif

My 1st quick thought is - if it's not broke - don't fix it. It sounds like your plant is really happy right now and rewarding you with excellent coloration, growth and blooms.

Rather than mess with a good thing, I think I'd let the plant have its fun, enjoy it and consider repotting when things slow up a little.

Ok I reppoted it, but I just took the plant with all the soil on its roots(I took extra care not to disturb the soil and roots) and I just put peat with a bit of sand added around the soil.

Hi Dino,

It should be fine. I've repotted several of my specimens with no problems. In contrast with the few South American species that I have tried, I find this to be a very easy Drosera to grow.

Cheers,

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In contrast with the few South American species that I have tried, I find this to be a very easy Drosera to grow.

Hi Greg,
What species have given you difficulties?

Hey Greg, nice to see you here
smile.gif

Well today its very dewy and its flowering as normal.......I think I sucessfully re-potted it without disturbing it
Ive chosen a pot quite a bit bigger then its old one, so it can grow for a long while before I have to repot it again

Hi Ron,

I grow DD ascendens, intermedia 'Big Audrey', and graminifolia. None of them grow particularly well, although the Big Audrey looks decent in winter. I suspect that my conditions are too warm for them.

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greg Allan @ July 14 2005,4:39)]Hi Ron,

I grow DD ascendens, intermedia 'Big Audrey', and graminifolia. None of them grow particularly well, although the Big Audrey looks decent in winter. I suspect that my conditions are too warm for them.

Greg
Hmmm - I also grow D. ascendens. Based on your comments and Tamlin's (from elsewhere), I'm waiting for my plants to start to deteriorate - I hope they don't but I suspect I'm keeping them too warm (although they look happy now...
confused.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hope they don't but I suspect I'm keeping them too warm

How warm?
Mine gets it pretty darn warm at times and it's been growing quite well if I don't say so myself.

Hi Est,
Mine is probably seeing daytime temps in the mid-80's (possibly to low 90's).

Tamlin posted the following in June:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Posted: June 16 2005,3:22 QUOTE
This is one of the more heat sensitive Brasillian species in my experience. A few days of over 80F are probably acceptable, but I would avoid long periods of warm water about the roots. Optimal range would be 50-70F, and a night time drop is advisable if not mandatory for long term success. I have also noted flowering and seed set tends to deplete the plant, and at this time high temps should be carefully avoided. Plants do return from the roots if the rosettes die back, but this is not reliable.

Mine is growing well now, developed a 2nd growth point which has developed into a strong 2nd plant. The plant overall appears to be growing very well - lots of new leaves and very dewy. I've taken a few leaves and put some in water and some in sphagnum for propagation. One of the leaves in water has a sprout on it - can't see any on the sphagnum ones yet.

My concern is that when Tamlin makes a statement, you ignore it at your own risk (or your plant's). I did read a post somewhere (cpuk?) that there are probably plants from a number of locations being grown and some of the locations may be more tolerant of high temps (hope - hope)
smile_m_32.gif

Back