User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reppoting drosera paradoxa

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,
    my ill D.paradoxa has recovered since Amori sent it to me, and its produced the deepest ruby red colouring that Ive ever see on a sundew. It has now filled outs its pot and is growing quickly, as well as sending up 3 flower stalks.
    If not my favorioute sundew, its one of my favorioute by a very long way. My mum loves it aswell.
    I would like to repot it so it has more room to make growth.
    My first question is: What potting mix is the best for them? Just a normal 2:1, peat:sand mix?

And the second is: Do I have to take extra care when reppoting? Is this one sensitive to root disturbance like D.scorpiodes?
    thanks for your help,
    Dino
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can have variation in potting mix, as we all do and it won't make a significant difference. Mine are flowering and they are in an undetermined mix of sand and peat, with LFS on top, which has since become live LFS. I have them open tray, at a SW sill.

As far as re-potting is concerned, yes, treat is you would a D. scorpiodes. I have shipped several out and my initial attempts, bare root, were failures or near failures. The more developed of a root system a plant has, the more likely it will suffer shock when being disturbed. I would try to remove the whole pot's contents as one unit and place it in the new pot and then fill in where necessary. Then water it to pack it down slightly.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2/1/1 sand/peat/perlite here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 50/50 pete/perlite mix for Jimscott's paradoxa that he sent me. Mine turned red as well [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img].
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1st quick thought is - if it's not broke - don't fix it. It sounds like your plant is really happy right now and rewarding you with excellent coloration, growth and blooms.

Rather than mess with a good thing, I think I'd let the plant have its fun, enjoy it and consider repotting when things slow up a little.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I reppoted it, but I just took the plant with all the soil on its roots(I took extra care not to disturb the soil and roots) and I just put peat with a bit of sand added around the soil.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dino,

It should be fine. I've repotted several of my specimens with no problems. In contrast with the few South American species that I have tried, I find this to be a very easy Drosera to grow.

Cheers,

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In contrast with the few South American species that I have tried, I find this to be a very easy Drosera to grow.
    Hi Greg,
    What species have given you difficulties?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast