Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy rain and your sundews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I love my terrariums [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] No rain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, ditch the perlite and go with sand which doesn't float. All my Drosera were grown outdoors during the warmer months in undrained plastic containers (bins that fish came in). Some were actually aquatic for weeks on end with no ill effects noted when the water receeded. If strong rains were in the cards I would cover the bins with their lids, but otherwise they were exposed to whatever Mamma gave them.

I have to disagree about the comment on terrarium culture: I never found a need for this with Drosera and plants so grown never did as well as those in more open scenarios although the Queensland species did need some babying to get them toughened up. 40% RH and above seems adequate for just about all of the species, and I have grown most of them.

Strong Drosera are remarkably resiliant and spring right back after rains, even if the lamina are covered with peat. Rains also leach out salts from the pots and wash away prey corpses which are prone to fungus infections that can affect the plants. Noticing the growth spurt evident after rains, I speculate that the litter actualy provided some nutritional benefit to the plants. Best effects were reached with plants started from seed in the nekkid outdoors - these required no hardening off or babying at all. Switching from closed to open growing takes observational care and patience to get them hardened off.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow several drosera outdoors. We just got torrential downpours from the remnants of the huricane. They are all currently underwater. The level should receed in about three to four days. Thay all seem to love it.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 18 2005,3:19)]First off, ditch the perlite and go with sand which doesn't float.
    Huge bag of perlite for sale cheap... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I no longer use perlite in my outdoor pots.

Here are some tips:

You can top-dress the peat/perlite or peat/sand mix with long-fiber sphagnum, or live sphagnum.

Don't worry about the sphagnum burying the plants; just harvest it and use it in other pots.

You can also sow the peat surface with a fast-growing utic (like U. subulata) that will help hold the surface together when it rains.

In my outdoor pots, I put peat in the bottom half of the pot. The rest is filled with LFS.

My Sarracenia love it.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Huge bag of perlite for sale cheap... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Perlite is $3.99 a bag, even for small bags in my neck of the woods. I buy 100 lb bags of silica sand (used for sandblasting) for $8. That goes a loooong ways. I think its much easier to work with, when rinsing and all. Another alternative might be pumice. That shouldn't rise to the surface.

Also, I leave my outdoor Drosera exposed year around to whatever nature brings their way. Can't beat the coloration and vibrance of Drosera growing outdoors.

-Homer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12