Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy rain and your sundews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all my CPs outside. I notice that lots of rain or heavy rain disturbs the sundews, while the other CPs seem to enjoy it. So I was wondering what do you outside growers do with your sundews when it comes time for the rain? Do you shelter it somewhere else or let mother nature do her thing? Just curious...
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "disturbes" them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes "disturbs". The pots get flooded and and the perlite seems to be rising to the top. My intermedia's pot's surface is all perlite. The water made it rise. Not only this but the dew has been washed off.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh i see.

if it's a BIG rain i move everything inside. but these little summer storms i dont worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only brought mine in for 1 storm and that one had 30 mph winds with gusts over 50 mph.
    I wasn't really worried about the plants themselves but that the pots would blow over.
    The only problem I have had was the perlite flooding over and making a mess.
    I solved this by top dressing with a thin layer of peat moss 1/4" and then another layer of LFS. No mess, and the soil doesn't wash over any plants anymore.
    The dew does wash off sometimes, but it all comes back normally 1-2 days later.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my D. binata & filiformis outside, with their long, flowy leaves, but their buckets / minibogs are up against the kitchen and that partially shields them. However, we get those intense 3" rains and their leaves do droop. I haven't noticed a loss of dew and the next sunny day, they seem to bounce back. The are not harmed by the rain. They just have a "bad leaf day". Perlite naturally rises to the top, over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put some holes in my plastic water tray, to avoid an overflooding. I did this to my Nep's water tray as well, so now I won't have to worry about it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img].

I'm going to put some LFS on the top of my sundew pots. I have been hesitant about this because last time the LFS was overgrowing my sundews! So far I haven't seen this kind of behavior from Golden Sphagnum (aka Angel moss). Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] just put some holes in my plastic water tray, to avoid an overflooding.
    Yep, that's what I did. No more floating pots in my trays.
    I do cover the pygmy sundews though, they are kind of small and delicate and the rain will wipe them out.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast