User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How long can a leaf cutting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took two leaf cuttings, a D. rotundifolia and a D. spatulata,put them in some water, sealed the top and put them in the windowsill. They both starting growing new plants! This is the first time I have really tried the water technique and it worked great! How long can I let them grow in there before I should plant them in a soil mixture?

I took a third cutting of a VFT and placed it in there as well, but I can't see any growth yet. It is still green though. Do they take longer? Thanks!

Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joel,

VFT's take longer. I was unsuccessful with my attempt. I haven't tried spatulata or rotundifolia, but I would be cognizant of mold. D. binata & filiformis can reside in a 50 ml tube for weeks! I finally gave then away before attempting to transplant or seeing how long they can go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code Sample
    How long can I let them grow in there before I should plant them in a soil mixture?[/QUOTE]

I left my D. filformis ssp. filiformis and ssp. tracyi grow a few weeks as plantlets in their propogation tray before taking them out. To minimize shock, I am keeping the young plants in pots sealed in a large ziplock-type bag. The humidity levels are still high, and the young plants are still growing nicely! Over time, I will gradually open the bag to get them "hardened" off so to speak.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! It never ceases to amaze me how these plants work. They are so interesting!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

5. Tags for this Thread