What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lesson in persistance.....

Here is an example of why you should never throw a plant away until your are absolutely sure it's dead.  Last December I bought a D. adelae from Lowe's.  It was in one of those little 2 inch plastic cubes.  It looked ok and even had some dew on the 1 to 2 inch long leaves.  I immediately transplanted it into a 4 inch pot using 3/4 LFS and 1/4 pumice.  It quickly showed it's displeasure and died back to nothing.  There it sat in my terrarium for about 5 months showing no signs of anything.  Then about the beginning of June, low and behold up came a new leaf followed by another and another.  Now I have this beautiful plant that is over 6 inches across with tons of dew.

adelae.jpg

5 months wow! That is pretty amazing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It quickly showed it's displeasure and died back to nothing.

The D. adelae under my care display similar displeasure as well when transplanted. Good job with the patience! Nice to see examples of posts where people's patience pays off, and therefore encourages the rest of us to do the same
smile.gif

Homer

Looking very good and hungry!

I really support the idea here - don't throw them out. Probably due to my repotting this spring, I had a number of plants wither up and die in the spring - often after they had sprouted some strong healthy-looking growth.

One really nice ceph w/ several pitchers just decided to die. After a month, I started to dig it up when I noticed that the roots weren't rotted at all. I stuck it back in the ground and within a few weeks noticed some tiny new growth. Now the plant is doing fine w/ multiple leaves & pitchers.

Can't say I've ever had 5 months worth of patience though - that is amazing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back